lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-08-2018, 03:51 PM   #1
Spartan Mark
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default 3rd Brake Light?

I have a crazy idea to mount a pickup truck-style 3rd brake(red)/bed (white) light on the back of the carts top. Thanks to JohnnieB, I will use a 36v relay to activate the white lights through the backup beeper wiring, but for the brake light, I'm sort of stumped. I have a GTW LED street-legal kit which will be installed that includes the brake light activator switch that mounts on the brake pedal. Which is the recommended method of wiring the 3rd brake light? Directly to the wires that come off the pedal switch? Or should I tap into the brake light wire (at the pedal switch) and run it through a 12v relay, keeping the 3rd brake light on a separate 12v line (probably from the fuse block)?
Spartan Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-08-2018, 04:09 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 3rd Brake Light?

If the pickup truck style light assembly uses incandescent bulbs, I'd use a relay with a 12V coil activated by the brake light switch, or by a tap on the wire to the LED brake lights.

Personally, I'd use LEDs for the backup lights and the high center brake light since incandescent bulbs are very inefficient.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:11 PM   #3
Spartan Mark
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: 3rd Brake Light?

Thanks -- my plan was to use LEDs for the hi-light and backup light. That does make things a lot easier!

Of course, this just leads to more questions.... I'll probably need to figure out if the brake switch activates a relay inside the controller unit of the harness, or if it just completes a circuit to the brake lights. Wish I had this thing installed so I could test it out.
Spartan Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO