lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2018, 03:25 PM   #1
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Adjustable voltage regulator source

Needing to convert my g29 from solid state vr to the old style charges at 15ish volts witch is ideal but my amp for the stereo goes into protect mode at 15 volts so I'm needing an adjustable VR anyone know who sells them I know a lot of the cheap aftermarket ones appear the same but are not adjustable
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2018, 03:49 PM   #2
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Adjustable voltage regulator source

would a G1 regulator work? Looks to be OEM #18

http://www.tntgolfcar.com/yamaha-par...5_440_692.html
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 04:06 PM   #3
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yeah it would Yamaha stopped making them so I'm Leary of spending 80 and getting aftermarket non adjustable might have to give them a call
Old 03-23-2018, 04:28 PM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

The ones for Harley Davidson carts are the same so you can net search for those as well? I havent bought one in a while so I dont know whats out there.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:19 PM   #5
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I was hoping someone bought one recently that was adjustable last couple of bought for customers that wanted to get by cheap weren't adjustable
Old 03-24-2018, 12:05 AM   #6
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Yes, I found one almost 2 years ago... I contacted a lot of suppliers and only ONE had an adjustable one:

https://golfcartcare.com/parts?keywo...lator-72-to-94

Now, needing one, I would first confirm with them if it is still adjustable before ordering...

I installed it on my G15-A and am quite happy with it since then. They are not all cheap, even one is made in USA, but they simply are not adjustable and it is a feature I absolutely wanted.

Actually, it keeps the system between 13.5 to 14.4. It is not easy to setup as the value changes when in place and you put back the cover; so it is a question of several tries.
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:32 AM   #7
dsbunton646
Not Yet Wild

I know this is an old thread, but I'm in the same boat here. I made contact with the seller in the link provided regarding the Harley mechanical VR and he confirms it is adjustable, but also stated I shouldn't use a mechanical Regulator on a cart designed to use a solid state Regulator. Anyone had any issues doing so, or have any reason to agree or disagree with him?. I am charging at 15.8 volts after a new VR and checking all the wiring. I'd like to get it to 15volts max. Ideally between 14.4-15v for the accessories to function properly while driving.
dsbunton646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:02 PM   #8
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbunton646 View Post
, but also stated I shouldn't use a mechanical Regulator on a cart designed to use a solid state Regulator. Anyone had any issues doing so, or have any reason to agree or disagree with him?. .
By the life of me I don't see the difference. All those VRs do is remove current from circuit by way of internal resistors. The adjustable ones simply have a spiral resistor in them which makes them adjustable where the solid state one have static resistors. Their functionality is exactly the same.

I would bet that your advice giver means that, with the adjustable ones, it is possible to not adjust enough which will over charge the battery or perhaps cause other circuit damage. Other than that I can't a difference between the two types.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 01:29 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The starter/generator is no different than the one used back in the old days when the mechanical regulator was used. Go for it. In fact, the first yamaha to use a solid state regulator was the G5, and it had it's own special one, so special it costs like $300, so I have converted many of those to mechanical regulator.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 02:13 PM   #10
dsbunton646
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for help and information. I ordered one and will give it a shot. I'm not familiar with them obviously, so can anybody explain how exactly it is adjusted/set? Also can it be mounted on the metal frame like the oem G29 version or should it be mounted to something nonmetal, like a plastic fender etc..? Thanks again for the info.
dsbunton646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha