lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2018, 01:17 PM   #1
sc_offroad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 98 EZGO TXT will not start in gear

If I set the gear selector in “neutral” between forward and reverse it will run, and rpms rev normal. If I select F or R, starter turns motor but it doesn’t seem to want to speed up enough to take off. It sounds as if there is combustion while cranking in gear but it has the occasional pop. I adjusted my valves to spec, did a tune up with new plugs, air and oil filter and oil change, replaced the carburetor, and swapped the coil. None of these made any change. Should I start looking at the timing belt? Compression is 150 each cylinder.

Last edited by sc_offroad; 04-29-2018 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add compression
sc_offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2018, 02:14 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 98 EZGO TXT will not start in gear

First thing to do is check the condition of the battery, then if that is ok, check the starter/generator brushes. If all this looks good, then check all ground connections for corrosion.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:18 AM   #3
sc_offroad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

There’s nothing wrong with the battery or starter as I stated it will turn over and run in neutral at all rpm. It’s as if it lacks spark when it is engaged in F or R. The starter will turn the motor over but it sounds like there’s an attempt to combust.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:14 AM   #4
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Does the cart roll freely in neutral?
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:57 AM   #5
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Before diagnosing for faults on the engine, we need to know the condition of the starter circuit. Thats why i asked about battery etc. Under load from a stuck clutch or tight belt can cause voltage drop and stop the engine from starting. BUT! without a load test on the battery for excessive voltage drop, we are testing blind. I Am assuming that Stovebolt is looking at the next stage of the diagnosis so i will leave it to him now.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:41 AM   #6
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

The only difference between starting in Neutral or in gear is drag on the starter.

There is no electrical or ignition components tied to F-N-R switch except reverse alarm.

As stated before, is the belt to short? May make the cart try to move when cranking.

Try jacking up the rear end and starting in gear.

I would swap a good 12 volt battery, with good CCA and I am betting it will start.

From there test old battery, if good test starter draw.
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:11 AM   #7
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

In theory, even with drag on the belt/clutches, the cart should move and then start/run. If not you should still still suspect battery, starter, or associated cables, solenoid and ground. If there is a big voltage drop, for example less than 10.5 volts reaching the starter under load, then the coil will struggle to fire the plugs.

Oops, I said I would leave this to Stovebolt. Lol
Old 04-30-2018, 08:17 AM   #8
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
In theory, even with drag on the belt/clutches, the cart should move and then start/run. If not you should still still suspect battery, starter, or associated cables, solenoid and ground.
I agree if the battery has enough CCA's

That why I would just swap out battery from my pick up and see if the works. Then go from there.
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:40 AM   #9
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

These guys have been around the block and so if you get any advice I'd take it and at least check it out to many times on here people search and search for problems only to find out they skipped the basics ie checking battery/cables/brushes
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:47 AM   #10
sc_offroad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

There is no change in the speed of the starter in neutral or in gear. The battery is good. I wasn’t sure od any safety switch or anything that could kill the coil in gear. The belt is new and the clutch/pulley performs properly while in neutral. Is there anything that could hinder the fire while it is in gear?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO