lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2018, 09:15 AM   #1
jrhopf17
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Short run time on full charge

I recently bought a 2005 Precedent that did not run when I purchased it. The Trojan T-1275 batteries were said to be approx 1-1/2 years old per the previous owner and look to be in good condition (4 x 12v). First thing I did was add battery acid to cells. Then after replacing the forward reverse and on off switches the cart runs. It gets to a top speed of 19mph using speed box app. Cart has a lift kit and oversized nobby tires and is a four seater.

When the cart is on a full charge it runs good and for maybe 10 minutes before the battery meter starts to drop. Once the battery meter gets to about 50% the acceleration begins to taper off. If its night time and the head lights are on, the light shines bright when not accelerating but dims when the accelerator is depressed. The run time should be a lot longer and the acceleration shouldn't decrease nor should the lights be dimming this quick. Any troubleshooting ideas I can do to get a longer run time?
jrhopf17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2018, 09:21 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Short run time on full charge

There is no question you have a weak/depleting pack. Hook up a DVM to the pack and fully charge it. Wait ~12 hours afterwards and then check it - should be 50.9 vdc. If not (and probably will not be), check each individual battery as they should each be at 12.7x vdc each.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:17 AM   #3
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

are the lights running off a reducer or are they tied into one battery ?

if using one battery , theres your problem with your pack.
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:33 AM   #4
jrhopf17
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

How do I tell if the lights are running on a reducer or off of one battery?
Old 06-03-2018, 10:50 AM   #5
jrhopf17
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I just realized the negative out cable on battery #4 was connected to the positive terminal, not the negative. I have made the adjustment and moved it to the negative terminal, could that be my issue?
Old 06-03-2018, 10:54 AM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhopf17 View Post
I just realized the negative out cable on battery #4 was connected to the positive terminal, not the negative. I have made the adjustment and moved it to the negative terminal, could that be my issue?
So your last battery where the black Neg cable runs to the OBC was on the Pos terminal? If so, then yes, that is not correct, and the series cable from battery #3 should be there and the Main Pack Neg cable (black) should be on the battery #4 (-) terminal and then it runs through the OBC.

Again, your DVM will definitively tell you what is what in this scenario...
Old 06-03-2018, 02:32 PM   #7
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhopf17 View Post
How do I tell if the lights are running on a reducer or off of one battery?
do you see a small gauge + & - wire on a single battery , if so remove it and see if your lights work .

OR

Do you see a med gauge + & - wire from the pack positive and pack negative going to a small box and that box would have smaller gauge wires running to your lights .
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:45 PM   #8
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

OP is way off the trail here.....I don’t think he knows the difference between the battery cables and an accessories wire. The cart wouldn’t have worked if a negative on battery 4 was connected to positive on battery 1.....or at least that seems to be what he described.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:43 PM   #9
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownblue View Post
OP is way off the trail here.....I don’t think he knows the difference between the battery cables and an accessories wire. The cart wouldn’t have worked if a negative on battery 4 was connected to positive on battery 1.....or at least that seems to be what he described.
I was thinking he meant it was series'd wrong - meaning main Neg was coming off the positive terminal and not the negative.... Who knows.....
Old 06-03-2018, 06:20 PM   #10
jrhopf17
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

That is correct, main neg was coming off the pos terminal not neg. I have since changed it to the neg terminal but still the same battery life. I'm charging it now and will test the volts on each battery once I get a full charge
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car