lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2018, 10:48 AM   #1
ch0bby
Not Yet Wild

Default 'Dead' Cart

Ok, I'm stumped. - 2000 model EZGO PDS Electric Cart

Early last year I replaced a fried Alltrax DCX400PDS controller. I used the opportunity to upgrade torque for hilly terrain. At Scotty's suggestion I installed an Admiral MOT-B2 8 hp motor with the new Alltrax XCT48500 controller, 400 super solenoid, and 2g cable set..... BEST UPGRADE EVER. Cart performed flawlessly with more torque and better battery life , ....for about 8 months +/-.
One day, the wife went to check the trail cams, brought the cart home and parked it with no issues noted... cart hasn't run since. Batteries are charged to full capacity. I was told it wasn't likely a major component and was more likely a loose/broken wire issue. Since then in my spare time (which I have very little of, only home 2 days a week and "honey do's" consume most of that) I have searched and searched for any potential burnt/frayed/loose wiring issues... and because I couldn't find any issues I even began resorting to replacing nearly every wire harness / electrical component.

To date I have replaced:
Ignition Switch
FWD/REV Toggle Switch
Main Wire Control Harness (Wiring from Controller to Ignition switch, Rev Buzzer/Horn, Fwd/Rev Switch)
'Gas' Peddle Throttle Sensor and Micro Switch, Plus Wire Harness to Controller
New 400 Amp Solenoid (but specifically not the diode jumper)

I even ordered a new Alltrax controller, installed it with no luck, then removed and returned it.

All parts were replaced 'one for one', same factory part numbers and great care taken to remove one wire from the old part, install on new part before removing next wire... IE no crossed wires or incorrectly installed parts. Still no luck, cart is dead. The digital battery volt meter works when the key is turned on (an stops working if cart is placed in 'Tow' mode). Headlights work. Nothing else, no reverse buzzer/horn, no status light on Alltrax controller, no solenoid 'click'....

The only electrical components I've yet to replace are the Tow/Run switch and harness, which seem like they work (at least in regard to the battery volt meter). At this point I basically have an entirely new electrical system, which I'm happy about, but the cart still wont 'power up'. What am I missing? Could it be the tow/run switch not allowing the controller to power up?
ch0bby is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-06-2018, 12:51 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 'Dead' Cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch0bby View Post
Ok, I'm stumped. - 2000 model EZGO PDS Electric Cart

Early last year I replaced a fried Alltrax DCX400PDS controller. I used the opportunity to upgrade torque for hilly terrain. At Scotty's suggestion I installed an Admiral MOT-B2 8 hp motor with the new Alltrax XCT48500 controller, 400 super solenoid, and 2g cable set..... BEST UPGRADE EVER. Cart performed flawlessly with more torque and better battery life , ....for about 8 months +/-.
One day, the wife went to check the trail cams, brought the cart home and parked it with no issues noted... cart hasn't run since. Batteries are charged to full capacity. I was told it wasn't likely a major component and was more likely a loose/broken wire issue. Since then in my spare time (which I have very little of, only home 2 days a week and "honey do's" consume most of that) I have searched and searched for any potential burnt/frayed/loose wiring issues... and because I couldn't find any issues I even began resorting to replacing nearly every wire harness / electrical component.

To date I have replaced:
Ignition Switch
FWD/REV Toggle Switch
Main Wire Control Harness (Wiring from Controller to Ignition switch, Rev Buzzer/Horn, Fwd/Rev Switch)
'Gas' Peddle Throttle Sensor and Micro Switch, Plus Wire Harness to Controller
New 400 Amp Solenoid (but specifically not the diode jumper)

I even ordered a new Alltrax controller, installed it with no luck, then removed and returned it.

All parts were replaced 'one for one', same factory part numbers and great care taken to remove one wire from the old part, install on new part before removing next wire... IE no crossed wires or incorrectly installed parts. Still no luck, cart is dead. The digital battery volt meter works when the key is turned on (an stops working if cart is placed in 'Tow' mode). Headlights work. Nothing else, no reverse buzzer/horn, no status light on Alltrax controller, no solenoid 'click'....

The only electrical components I've yet to replace are the Tow/Run switch and harness, which seem like they work (at least in regard to the battery volt meter). At this point I basically have an entirely new electrical system, which I'm happy about, but the cart still wont 'power up'. What am I missing? Could it be the tow/run switch not allowing the controller to power up?
Unless the XCT powers up, there will be no solenoid click or beeper.

The XCT powers up when pack voltage is applied to J1 Pin-8 from the keyswitch.

You say the dash mounted battery meter turns on and off with keyswitch, so the pack voltage appears to be getting past the keyswitch contacts.

I'd check the wire and connections between keyswitch contacts and J1 Pin-8 sticking out of the controller jack with a very fine toothed comb.

The only other thing that comes to mind is a bad B- cable between controller and battery pack.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:35 PM   #3
ch0bby
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Unless the XCT powers up, there will be no solenoid click or beeper.

The XCT powers up when pack voltage is applied to J1 Pin-8 from the keyswitch.

You say the dash mounted battery meter turns on and off with keyswitch, so the pack voltage appears to be getting past the keyswitch contacts.

I'd check the wire and connections between keyswitch contacts and J1 Pin-8 sticking out of the controller jack with a very fine toothed comb.

The only other thing that comes to mind is a bad B- cable between controller and battery pack.

Thank you JohnnieB for the quick response. I'll definitely check those when I return home this weekend. Again, the keyswitch and wiring harness are both brand new... but it wont hurt to check that area again as I am now completely lost on anything else to look at!
Old 08-06-2018, 02:42 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch0bby View Post
Thank you JohnnieB for the quick response. I'll definitely check those when I return home this weekend. Again, the keyswitch and wiring harness are both brand new... but it wont hurt to check that area again as I am now completely lost on anything else to look at!
New or old or someplace in between, it doesn't matter, if something can go wrong, it will. New and good are not synonymous, as I've learned the hard way many times in my 50+ years of troubleshooting.

If you connect a laptop to the XCT, it will power up via the USB and you can see on the monitor screen in Toolkit if the keyswitch is talking to the controller. Also shows any error flag that are set.

Attached is a screen-print of the monitor page from a very old version of Toolkit, but the later versions will have something similar.

With the stock PDS controller, you have to have a direction selected on the F/R to get voltage to the keyswitch, but with an XCT all that is needed is the Run/Tow in Run and the keyswitch ON, to get it to power up. Plus a good B- connection back to the battery pack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monitor Tab - Top.jpg (176.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:39 AM   #5
ch0bby
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
New or old or someplace in between, it doesn't matter, if something can go wrong, it will. New and good are not synonymous, as I've learned the hard way many times in my 50+ years of troubleshooting.

If you connect a laptop to the XCT, it will power up via the USB and you can see on the monitor screen in Toolkit if the keyswitch is talking to the controller. Also shows any error flag that are set.

Attached is a screen-print of the monitor page from a very old version of Toolkit, but the later versions will have something similar.

With the stock PDS controller, you have to have a direction selected on the F/R to get voltage to the keyswitch, but with an XCT all that is needed is the Run/Tow in Run and the keyswitch ON, to get it to power up. Plus a good B- connection back to the battery pack.
Thank you JohnnieB. I will try the laptop again as well. I had tried the PC/printer cable and the 'toolkit' program initially when I began having problems months ago, but never got any sort of reaction out of the XCT and the PC program just kept error'ing that it couldn't communicate or connect to the XCT (I forget the exact error wording)..
Old 08-07-2018, 11:35 PM   #6
PuttPutt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Did you try the laptop on the new controller you returned? Same results as with the old one? Will the controller power up on the bench with laptop?
PuttPutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:52 PM   #7
ch0bby
Not Yet Wild

Ok guys. Finally made it home. Hooked up the PC to the Alltrax (had to download new toolkit, the old version I had couldn't "find the controller".

Everything appears to be working, at least to me, as far as wiring and such. Toolkit accurately tells me when I turn on the keyswitch, select FWD/REV, depress the peddle, etc.

However, I get the following error flags when everything is powered up:
Low & High Throttle Input Under-range as well as Shutdown... also, without the pedal depressed it says throttle is at 100%... is this the amount of throttle 'allowed' or is this the throttle that the controller thinks is applied???

See monitor screenshot:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monitor.jpg (131.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-10-2018, 05:21 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Sooo, lift the floor mat and open the pedal box. Look for water... or post pics so we can see what might be giving the 100% pedal signal and causing the high pedal disable safety feature aka HPD
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:42 AM   #9
ch0bby
Not Yet Wild

Took a bit this morning, had a stripped screw to remove from the 'floorboard'... turns out all I had to do was 'hold my tongue right' and let the blood out of one of my fingers...

Here is a picture with the pedal released (not pressed)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180811_102844.jpg (546.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-11-2018, 10:43 AM   #10
ch0bby
Not Yet Wild

One with the pedal pressed all the way
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180811_102853.jpg (564.2 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO