lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2018, 05:04 PM   #1
legbuh
Not Yet Wild

Default ezgo txt governor NOT kicking in?

Hello, all!

Recently picked up a 97 EZGO txt. First thing I did was valves, plugs, oil, diff oil. Was working great, but wasn't sure what maintenance had been done.

Then I noticed after sitting for a few days it was a little hard to start. Took maybe 10-15 seconds with choke. So today I decided to check the fuel pump and clean the carb.

Took the carb off, cleaned it, checked everything and all was good.

Took apart the fuel pump and it was a few little pieces of junk in it. Cleaned it and put it back together. Seemed to work much better after that.

But now, here's the issue. No matter how far out I adjust the governor, it always hits the rev limiter at WOT.

When I first got it I GPS'd it at 12mph. I adjusted the governor so it would run 14-15mph, right before hitting the governor.

But now, it's like the governor won't kick in at all, even all the way back. I GPS'd at 17-18mph.

I wouldn't care too much except my wife and kids use it all the time, and I don't want them bouncing off the rev limiter all the time.

So what could I have done to make the governor stop working? Everything still seems to be in place.

legbuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-06-2018, 06:12 PM   #2
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: ezgo txt governor NOT kicking in?

Make sure the arm is not just spinning on the shaft that comes out of the rear end.

I bought a cart once that had been sitting, the gov. was stuck, then it just started working on its own.
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:47 AM   #3
legbuh
Not Yet Wild

Do you mean when adjusting the governor? That's certainly not the case. I had it so loose it wasn't even contacting the spring.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:18 PM   #4
legbuh
Not Yet Wild

Well, figured it out. Nothing to do with the carb cleaning.

The little square bolt on the top of the diff housing that controls the governor was loose and the arm had popped up off the lever. I got that on right.

But then it still wasn't working, and taking off like a bat out of phoenix. The carb was fully open.. hmm..

Went and looked again and the little eye hook that connects to the end of the governor rod had slid up past the hook, forcing the carb all the way open and giving the governor no travel since it was all the way clockwise.

Once I got those two things taken care of, she's back to running at a save 14mph max... good for the family again... I knew it had to be something simple... in this case 2 things simple. :)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO