lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2018, 07:17 PM   #11
CPS
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Dual SPAL Electric Cooling Fans Install

Sorry for the pictures being all sideways! I will get better pictures tomorrow
CPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2018, 10:16 PM   #12
DannyAbear
Gone Wild

Club Car

Most of those type fans pull a bunch of amps, I think the S/G puts out only around 15 amps, be careful they don't run your battery down.
DannyAbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:31 AM   #13
CPS
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyAbear View Post
Most of those type fans pull a bunch of amps, I think the S/G puts out only around 15 amps, be careful they don't run your battery down.
Each one of these SPAL fans is 5.5 amps, so both fans will run at 11 amps.
Earlier I used two jumper wires to test each fan to test the output, and I am blown away (no pun intended) by how much air moves with just one fan!
Old 10-13-2018, 07:23 AM   #14
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That's a lot of fan power. The one fan I installed is about 160cfm. It is plenty to evacuate heat from the VC625 with the rear half of the engine cover open. Can't remember what amperage it is. Maybe about only 1-1.5 amps. Not much.

I put it on a simple waterproof toggle switch. We get to 95-100 in the summer but it is 42 here right now. No sense running the charging coil hard when it isn't needed.

Correction:. It is 120cfm @ 0.5amps. Made a world of difference with underseat heat. Still have room for a second one if needed but I doubt it. The important aspect is giving the heat a means to escape that will flow the same or more as your fans.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:31 PM   #15
CPS
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster59 View Post
That's a lot of fan power. The one fan I installed is about 160cfm. It is plenty to evacuate heat from the VC625 with the rear half of the engine cover open. Can't remember what amperage it is. Maybe about only 1-1.5 amps. Not much.

I put it on a simple waterproof toggle switch. We get to 95-100 in the summer but it is 42 here right now. No sense running the charging coil hard when it isn't needed.

Correction:. It is 120cfm @ 0.5amps. Made a world of difference with underseat heat. Still have room for a second one if needed but I doubt it. The important aspect is giving the heat a means to escape that will flow the same or more as your fans.
Rooster59,
These SPAL fans were originally designed for race bikes, dirt bikes, ATV’s and these small vehicles can handle 5.5 amps per fan on there charging coil all day long.
Considering the stock EZGO starter/generator puts out 35 amps, I think I will have plenty of left over amperage to run the cart and both fans at the same time. I do plan on putting it on a switch so I can decide when to run the electric fans. I also upgraded (custom made) all of my power cables to 6awg pure copper welding lead wire. And I put in a large deep cycle (Group 24) marine starting AGM battery with 120 minute reserve capacity.

I also placed the SPAL fans specifically so the passenger side fan blows cool air to the front of the engines blower fan, which the engines blower fan cools the engine from the passenger side through the engine to the driver side, then my second electrical fan on the drivers side is placed to blow the hot air out the back or up through my custom vented engine access panel.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:46 PM   #16
CPS
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Finished the SPAL fans and plate/grills install. Now all I have left is the wiring.

Since there was a 3/8” gap between the SPAL fan mounting tab and the EZGO body, I bought (8 qty) 3/8” tall x 1/4” hole nylon spacers from HomeDepot. I did have to file down one flat side on each of the spacers to make it sit flush up against the fan housing and to make to holes line up. I then put a couple of drops of super glue to hold all 8 spacers in place. In the picture, the spacer on the left has been filed down, and the spacer on the right is untouched:

D665B89D-5B41-428B-BDE2-292CF4B974B5.jpg

Picture of spacers glued to fan tabs:

26521453-1EFF-49DF-9066-9FFCFF73B474.jpg

47476F38-17B4-4388-B0B8-D10F53AC77CD.jpg
Old 10-13-2018, 12:50 PM   #17
CPS
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I painted all the exposed white body with high gloss black paint before installing the fans and plate/grill:

BD5E86B1-DD9B-4341-BFA0-F404C695BCDF.jpg

Then, once dried, finished installing the fans with stainless steel bolts and locking nuts:

3F07B3FF-62F7-42C5-9E71-63422951092D.jpg

2A3CFD6C-0D78-4125-82E5-DFACD0E99D6D.jpg

Now I need to run my wiring!

Then done....
Old 10-13-2018, 07:41 PM   #18
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Did you have to modify your drive clutch since you installed the Key Start ? What RPM does this thing idle at ?
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:30 PM   #19
DannyAbear
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPS View Post
Rooster59,
These SPAL fans were originally designed for race bikes, dirt bikes, ATV’s and these small vehicles can handle 5.5 amps per fan on there charging coil all day long.
Considering the stock EZGO starter/generator puts out 35 amps, I think I will have plenty of left over amperage to run the cart and both fans at the same time. I do plan on putting it on a switch so I can decide when to run the electric fans. I also upgraded (custom made) all of my power cables to 6awg pure copper welding lead wire. And I put in a large deep cycle (Group 24) marine starting AGM battery with 120 minute reserve capacity.

I also placed the SPAL fans specifically so the passenger side fan blows cool air to the front of the engines blower fan, which the engines blower fan cools the engine from the passenger side through the engine to the driver side, then my second electrical fan on the drivers side is placed to blow the hot air out the back or up through my custom vented engine access panel.
Are you sure of the output of the S/G? I thought they were only about 15 amps.
DannyAbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:30 PM   #20
CPS
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
Did you have to modify your drive clutch since you installed the Key Start ? What RPM does this thing idle at ?
I have my idle set at 500 rpms, and yes I modified my drive clutch with CARTSPARTSPLUS tuning spring.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO