lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-25-2018, 07:58 AM   #11
Johnv 410
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Voltage Reducer Question

Thanks Hyper, I like that idea. Whenever adding an accessory you just tie into them terminals as opposed to the battery pack.
Johnv 410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2018, 08:51 AM   #12
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnv 410 View Post
Thanks guys. I have made some progress getting it wired up but have one issue I believe. I am trying to move the headlights off of the 2 6 V batteries over to the reducer along with a USB port. My issue is when I pull the headlight switch the lights do come on however when switching the switch I added to shut off the reducer, the headlights shut off also. So in a nutshell the switch that is intended to operate the reducer is also controlling the lights. My thinking is that I need to move something somewhere??? LOL
Uhh, how else would you propose the lights be powered? Killing the reducer will kill everything it powers.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:36 AM   #13
Johnv 410
Not Yet Wild

Since the lights have it's own switch I was hoping to add a switch to power up/down the reducer only. I may go back to running the lights directly off the 2 6v batteries and use the added switch for the reducer/USB
Old 10-25-2018, 09:59 AM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I don't think you understand the purpose of a reducer.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:17 AM   #15
Johnv 410
Not Yet Wild

My understanding is there is 36 volts going into the reducer on the input side and 12 volts coming out of the output side to power the 12 volt accessories. I am like a lot of other people on this site hoping someone who knows can help achieve it.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2018, 10:30 AM   #16
ag4ever
Gone Wild
Club Car

Are you looking for a 12v source when the key is in the off position?

I don't see a point in having power when the key is off, unless you are trying to keep the memory alive in a radio.

Having the lights turn off when the key is switched off is good in my opinion. It keep the battery from being drained inadvertently (lights left on during the day with the cart off). Keep in mind that the key is not turning the lights off, but is actually turning off the power source to anything that needs 12v. You can still turn the lights on and off with the light switch when the cart is running.
ag4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:35 AM   #17
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

You either keep the reducer always on, or turn it off when not in use. That can be done by either your key switch, or a separate switch - with or without a relay depends on the ampacity of your switch. That gives you 12 volts.

If you hook up a radio, it has a switch.
If you hook up a dome light, it has a switch.
If you hook up headlights, they have a switch.
If you hook up a horn, it has a switch.
If you hook up a USB adapter, it doesn't have a switch, but will only work if your reducer is turned on. So if you plan on charging a phone, you'll have to decide how you want that to work.

All will turn off if you turn off the reducer.

It sounds like you want the headlights to be on anytime the reducer is on?
Old 10-25-2018, 10:44 AM   #18
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnv 410 View Post
Since the lights have it's own switch I was hoping to add a switch to power up/down the reducer only. I may go back to running the lights directly off the 2 6v batteries and use the added switch for the reducer/USB
This would be defeating the purpose of a reducer in the first place.

Look at it this way: Run ALL accessories AFTER the reducer. However you decide to dot it, fuse block, or tapping into the wires.

Then install ANOTHER switch on the battery pack side to turn the reducer off for extended periods.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:45 AM   #19
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Sorry yurtle, you type faster than me.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:00 AM   #20
Johnv 410
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Yurtle, I am actually wanting the opposite. I must not be clear with what I am asking.
I am trying to run a USB off of the voltage reducer with it's own switch shutting them down when not being used even when the key switch is off/on.
I tried running the headlights through the reducer as well but when I shut the USB & Reducer off with the switch it is shutting the headlights down also. I'm just trying to shut down the reducer and USB.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO