lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2018, 07:02 AM   #1
Cranbrook
Not Yet Wild

Default 96 Medalist Weak Forward\Strong Reverse

Out riding a few days ago, everything going fine, when the cart started spitting and backfiring slightly. I had to pump the accelerator to keep the engine running. Shut it down and opened up the engine compartment, no obvious problems. Started back up and had to limp about a mile back home at a snails pace. (under it's own power) I could not make it up my very steep long driveway and ended up towing it to my garage.

Did some routine checks on plugs and gas flow (all fine), I discovered the cart has full power and speed in reverse. In forward, it takes a lot of pedal pumping to get it to move and then it will only creep. The engine seems to be struggling in forward but in reverse working normal.

Any help on where to start looking for a solution to this is surely appreciated!
Cranbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-04-2018, 07:48 AM   #2
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: 96 Medalist Weak Forward\Strong Reverse

Does it roll freely in neutral forward?

Motor? .. 2 cylinder Robins?
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:25 PM   #3
Cranbrook
Not Yet Wild

It does move in neutral forward when pushed (or towed). Yes, it is a 295 cc engine. It has the old style cast metal muffler.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:39 PM   #4
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I knew a Cranbrook from another forum, Wondering if this is you JohnL?
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:04 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

If it is sputtering/backfiring in forward only, something is interfering with the spark or the fuel. Look closely at the wiring/fuel lines/throttle linkage when it is shifted to forward.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:45 PM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Since it's a 4 stroke, forward, and reverse is controlled by the transmission. The engine direction, spark, and fuel are all the same no matter what.

You need to look for a dragging brake, or a clutch that is only working in one direction.

If it definitely runs great in one direction, and not the other, it's not an engine problem.
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:01 PM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Since it's a 4 stroke, forward, and reverse is controlled by the transmission. The engine direction, spark, and fuel are all the same no matter what.

You need to look for a dragging brake, or a clutch that is only working in one direction.

If it definitely runs great in one direction, and not the other, it's not an engine problem.
Exactly. It neither knows or cares which direction you want to go. Something is interfering with that.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:20 PM   #8
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

After thinking about it, even the clutches always run the same direction. I say dragging brake, or rear end damage.
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:35 PM   #9
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
After thinking about it, even the clutches always run the same direction. I say dragging brake, or rear end damage.
Me too. Unless something else is pinching/pushing against a wire or fuel line from the linkage. I can't see the the dang thing from here just trying to troubleshoot with the info he has given. Who knows what has been done re-routed etc.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:21 AM   #10
Cranbrook
Not Yet Wild

Thanks all for your input!! My name is Joel Hall, and my Cranbrook handle is from an old Plymouth I once owned and restored.

I just replaced the brakes and brake cables on the buggy along with installing a new ignition coil and spark plugs. My only clues to whatever is going on come mainly from when the trouble started. Going along smoothly on a level gravel road at the carts full speed of approx. 15 mph. The engine started to sputter and backfire a few times, bogging down as I pumped at the accelerator pedal. The engine never did quit running. I shut it down to inspect any visible indicators. Then restarted and could only just "limp" slowly back to the base of my steep driveway.

I only found out about the full functioning reverse when I backed out of my garage a couple of days later.

One of my first suspicions relating to power loss has to do with the old muffler on the unit. That small "exit"?? pipe that comes out of the top of the large can has a bunch of holes in it. The muffler is also very rusty and the bolts holding it to the manifold look like they will require a torch to remove. I started to search for new mufflers of this type and have yet to find any. The engine noise levels are quite high and there is some exhaust fumes noticeable while driving.

I did recheck my brake installation work, jacked up the back end and free spun the wheels. They turned freely.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO