lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-30-2019, 09:06 AM   #11
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 01 ezgo looking for info on engine swap

Most economical would be to buy new valves, rings, bearings, rods and rebuild the current engine if you're capable of building a VC460 this wouldn't be a problem. Wouldn't be more than a few hundred bucks in parts.

IF not that mechanically inclined, there's ebay exchange motors for $500-600 that are already rebuilt and come with some sort of a warranty. Pretty much anybody can undo 8 bolts and swap an engine out, there's really not much to it.

Economically, either one would be much easier both in time/labor and on the wallet than any kind of an engine swap. If you want more performance out of it, the money would be better spent on clutch upgrades, HS gears, etc.

Just one man's opinion anyway.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-31-2019, 02:51 PM   #12
mgrimm
Not Yet Wild

Has anyone made their own mtr Mount for a 420 engine? If so would you share some pics? Is the crank shaft adaptor with the taper ever give anyone problems? I’m pretty good at fabrication and I am on a tight budget so I’m trying to save all the money I can.
mgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:20 PM   #13
mgrimm
Not Yet Wild

Has any one here built their on motor mount for this engine swap? The one I priced is almost as much as my engine.
mgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:33 PM   #14
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I happen to agree with CP241.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:57 AM   #15
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I think it depends where you want to be at the end of the day.All the magic springs and jets produce some more power BUT not anywhere near power and torque that will come out of a VC 460. These engine are raced all over the world in mini bike and go karts. And as far as the high speed gears go along with big diameter tires the comparison just gets all that much better for the swap.And the last issue clone replacement parts and speed equipment is available from MANY sources and VERY reasonable prices. You have to decide what your end game is.Going putt putt or ZOOM ZOOM with the difference being maybe $200 along with future part availability with the stocker. At the end of my day the original reason for the swap in both of my carts was the ever declining sources of original replacement parts and at what cost. P.S. I did use the VC kit and was able to do the engine swap in an afternoon so I would't let anyone make the installation some marathon event.P.P.S. I did run my cart with a rebuilt stocker from 2008-2014 and then switched to VC 460 power. I would never ever go back to stock power. This is from a person that HAS done it both ways.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:05 PM   #16
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrimm View Post
Has any one here built their on motor mount for this engine swap? The one I priced is almost as much as my engine.
I would still stay stock but that's just my personal preference. But I don't use my golf carts for anything crazy, or care how fast they go. Mostly just putting around my property, taking out the trash, get the mail, etc. but... My road and driveway are both incredibly rough, so anything over about 15-16mph is just scary anyway (read: completely unmaintained dirt road, there's a few members on the forum that have been to my house and pretty much refuse to drive down my street again lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWgWKKsBBV4

I watched this a while back, looks like he made a really nice mount. But with the time/effort vs. drop in VC bracket in an afternoon, I think i'd just pay for the VC bracket that's tried and true and save the headache.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:57 PM   #17
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Here is a good analogy; A pair of friends both have 60's 6 cyl chevy II's. Friend 1) Hey I put some 4:11 gears in and rejetted my carb. It runs so much better. Friend 2) I dropped a 350 GM crate engine in mine and BOY IT RUNS SO MUCH BETTER !
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO