lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2019, 07:00 PM   #1
country_bumpkin
Not Yet Wild

Default More Cable Talk-2001 TXT

I have been reading threads about 2 ga vs 4 ga vs 6 ga cables. I think I have replaced almost all my 6 ga cables with 4 ga except 2. One BGW poster commented "the whole entire system is limited by the worse cable". Makes sense. The 2 I haven't replaced run from the FNR switch to the controller. Do I need to replace these also? I was thinking these were for reverse and wouldn't need to be replaces. I have also posted a picture of my battery set up before I replaced the 6 ga. Thanks in advanced and apologize in advance for my images and paintbrush editing

[IMG][/IMG]
country_bumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2019, 07:17 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: More Cable Talk-2001 TXT

All should be 4 ga wires and that red one looks like an automotive cable which not what you want.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:27 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Exactly the same electrons pass through all 13 of the high current cables, so all 13 ought to be at least 4Ga.

The two 6Ga cables you have are effectively limiting your entire amp deliver system to about the performance of a 6Ga cable set.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:19 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

To answer your specific assumption, no, these cables are not only for reverse. All four cables on the FNR carry current. They simply reroute it for reverse, but all four are in use both forward and reverse.

Also, per kgsc, you want golf cart cables, or welding cable, not automotive cables. You want a LOT of fine stranded conductors.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:10 AM   #5
country_bumpkin
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
To answer your specific assumption, no, these cables are not only for reverse. All four cables on the FNR carry current. They simply reroute it for reverse, but all four are in use both forward and reverse.

Also, per kgsc, you want golf cart cables, or welding cable, not automotive cables. You want a LOT of fine stranded conductors.
Thank you all. This makes sense to me now. After I posted I was looking at the picture closer. Thinner cables come from the controller (input to FNR) and the thicker cables run to motor (output to FNR).

The 3 cables in question will be replaced this weekend.

CB
country_bumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:10 AM   #6
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: More Cable Talk-2001 TXT

You always go with the same size cables all together no matter what. Never mix them. As stated above the smallest cable you have is what your whole system is regardless of bigger cables used.

Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:43 AM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

He was under the impression that the smaller cables were only used for reverse, so if that were true, he might have decided the bottle-neck is OK, given the typical duty cycle of reverse. However, it's NOT true, and all four cables carry current in F and R.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO