lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2019, 12:41 PM   #11
georgia088
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2000 EZGO TXT Shuttle how to test controller

I did test it with motor connected.. I now have it off, but I can put it back on to test with higher voltage
georgia088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2019, 12:43 PM   #12
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia088 View Post
I did test it with motor connected.. I now have it off, but I can put it back on to test with higher voltage
Good. The motor only has one bearing and the other is in the rear end. It might be interesting to test rotor ohms again, as the rotor will shift if taken out of cart, possibly shifting brushes.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:26 PM   #13
georgia088
Gone Wild

Ok. Now when I test it a1 and a2 have no continuity. I may have been getting a false reading earlier.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:35 PM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

That's actually good news. Remove and tear apart the motor, per instructions in the service manual. Either the connections to the studs came loose, or the brushes are worn - hopefully. Clean commutator and replace the one bearing. Brushes can probably be purchased from a site sponsor.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:08 AM   #15
georgia088
Gone Wild

Ok. I took apart the motor. There was definitely a problem. The brushes were stuck in their housing and had to be forceably removed. The brushes were actually still in good shape. However they had been stuck in one place on the commutator. So, I took it to a buddy with a lathe and had him turn it down slightly to remove the bad spots on the commutator. I am also sanding down the brushes so the spring will be able to Move inside it’s housing. I hope I’m using the correct terminology here, but I’m hoping this will work. I still have no idea if the controller is any good though? Testing options?

Thanks!
Old 05-24-2019, 06:55 AM   #16
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Here are the manuals I use for my '98 series TXT. I think Shuttles' controllers are different, but in absence of a proper manual, maybe this will be adequate:

Owners Manual for some newer electric carts
http://products.jacobsen.com/img/man...645-g01-gb.pdf

Technician's service and repair manual electric carts
http://products.jacobsen.com/img/manuals/28646.pdf

Service Parts Manuals electric carts
http://products.jacobsen.com/img/manuals/28789-g01.pdf

The Technicians service and repair manual has a whole chapter with a step by step flow chart. Chapter E.

Have you tried the motor test at higher voltage yet? You can also try and ohm out rotor and stator, and rotor to stator and both to case. Maybe you'll get lucky and just need brushes, since it apparently did nothing at 12 volts.
Here are the tests.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:56 AM   #17
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia088 View Post
Hello all.

I wound up getting the project 2000 EZGO TXT Shuttle 2+2. Serial No 12432220 that I asked about in a previous post. I went ahead and put brand new batteries in it. So.... Here is where I am.

I disconnected the battery back from everything else. I jumped a wire from A2 to S1 and then connected jumper cables from a 12v battery (+) to S2 and (-) to A1. There was a spark, but the motor did nothing at all. I was under the impression the motor should spin in this configuration if the motor is good.

So, I am assuming the motor is bad??

Thanks!
This test says it all. Your motor should have spun from the get go so the problem was with your motor.

Your brushes were welded in place which is not uncommon with those motors. Personally, I would replace the brushes altogether and put a new brush holder assembly but that's your call. When you put that sucker back together make sure you have the insulators on the brush studs in the right place or you will short things out.

When your motor is back together you can repeat your test with the motor out of the cart to make sure there isn't a bigger problem with it. An 8 or 12 volt battery will spin it easily. If it doesn't spin then your motor is probably shorted out somewhere. Any starter / alternator shop will be able to fix it at that point.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:02 AM   #18
Lochlin
Gone Wild

This attachment isn't for your specific shuttle but it has the exact same motor. The motor section is on page J-3 so you can see how the brushes have to be insulated.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EZGo Service (1).pdf (14.66 MB, 0 views)
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:12 AM   #19
georgia088
Gone Wild

Sorry, I guess I missed that message in the thread. Thanks for the info again!
Old 05-24-2019, 07:13 AM   #20
georgia088
Gone Wild

Thanks for the info! This is great help! So, I can test the motor with it out of the cart?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO