lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2019, 02:04 PM   #11
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 02 Ezgo slow speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDJ1974 View Post
What link? I went to your battery break in and voltage thumbnail. Ill be doing the voltage testing when I get home today if it still runs slow+. The batteries have been fully charged for over 12 hours now, or so I think. The charger cut itself off. Thanks
Which charger do you have? Some will time out, even if they don't reach full charge. At rest SOC - voltage - will tell us. Hopefully 38.2. If it's not close to 100%, I'd charge again. Back to back charging doesn't hurt anything except time. Weekend coming up.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2019, 03:26 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The US2000 is made by US Battery, so the correct SoC chart is attached. (The one yurtle posted is for Trojan brand batteries.)

If you have the Power Wise model 28115 charger (picture attached) that came with a 2002 TXT body style cart with a PDS drive, it is designed to charge Trojan brand batteries and might not be fully charging your US Battery brand batteries. Some do, some don't, but only checking the At-Rest voltage can tell. (should be 38.5V or slightly higher since batteries are new - charts are based on mature batteries, new read slightly higher, old read slightly lower)

New batteries from all manufacturers only have about 75% of their rated storage capacity until they have been broken in, which usually takes about two or three dozen, or so, charge cycles. In addition, the standard grade battery for a 36V pack is 6V - 225AH, the US2000 is rated at 6V - 216AH, or about 10% less than the standard capacity. Not much of a performance issue, cart will still have a top speed of about 18MPH, just won't travel as far on a single charger and the battery's cradle to grave lifespan will be shorter.

For optimal performance and lifespan, new batteries ought to be fully charged before first use (but that is water already under the bridge) and after each subsequent use. During first 20 or so charge cycles, don't discharge more than 75% SoC (State of Charge), however that is a limit rather than a goal, which means the batteries can be put on charge when SoC is above 75%.

------------
Since the PDS controller RPM limits the motor to about 4400RPM (about 18MPH on 18" tall tires), very little top speed loss is noticeable until battery pack has been discharged quite a bit (down to 85% SoC or so) and I suspect your cart running at 10MPH is due to something other than low battery pack voltage. (May have bee triggered by low voltage, but ought to run at full speed after batteries were charged to at least 95% SoC by PW 28115 charger. )

The text at the bottom of the attached PDS label tell you how to get controller in diagnostic mode. Hopefully an error code will be beeped, telling us why it is running at reduced speed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg USB SoC 36-42-48V.jpg (176.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PW charger - Faceplate.JPG (447.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PDS Label on Controller Cover.JPG (142.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:42 PM   #13
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Since the PDS controller ...
Is it a given that a 2002 is a PDS?
Old 05-30-2019, 04:08 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Is it a given that a 2002 is a PDS?
With the F/R on the dash it is. (RE: Post# 7)

Y2K was the changeover from DCS to PDS type sepex drives, but I don't know if that is calendar year or if EZGO has ever used model years like car companies do.

There might be some 2000 carts with DCS drives, but there aren't any 1999 PDS carts that I've heard of. Early 2000 PDS carts had the F/R by the knee like the DCS carts did, but the only EZGO carts that I know of having a F/R on the dash is the PDS drives and TXT-48 (2010 and later). (The RXV F/R is in the keyswitch)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:14 PM   #15
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
With the F/R on the dash it is. (RE: Post# 7)

Y2K was the changeover from DCS to PDS type sepex drives, but I don't know if that is calendar year or if EZGO has ever used model years like car companies do.

There might be some 2000 carts with DCS drives, but there aren't any 1999 PDS carts that I've heard of. Early 2000 PDS carts had the F/R by the knee like the DCS carts did, but the only EZGO carts that I know of having a F/R on the dash is the PDS drives and TXT-48 (2010 and later). (The RXV F/R is in the keyswitch)
Thanks. I remembered one SepEx drive transitioned FNR from leg to dash. I thought it was the DCS.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:16 PM   #16
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Y2K was the changeover from DCS to PDS type sepex drives,
Millennials are the last generation who know what Y2K was - wasn't, at least in my field. Dates are used merely for data logging, not control.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:01 PM   #17
JDJ1974
Not Yet Wild

My charger is a 28115. The resting voltage after charging all night then staying parked all day until I just got home is 38.5v. The cart is a 2002 with PDS. With all that said I just hoped on it and it’s running perfectly..... I’ll drive it some tonight and charge it over night again and hope it fixed itself.
JDJ1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:21 PM   #18
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Great news. More like it wasn't broke, just had some really sad batteries. Now you know more about batteries than most non-BGW folks know. When I bought my cart from original owner, he told me you have to drain them before charging. Even after that, they still lasted nine years.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:30 PM   #19
JDJ1974
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys.
JDJ1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:33 PM   #20
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Don't be a stranger. Even if you never have problems, it's hard to go more than a couple of days without learning something.

I'd still recommend buying a dash mounted digital volt meter. Carry around the chart JohnnyB gave you.

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO