lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2019, 02:55 PM   #1
Bulkey
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Curtis RXV controller programmed for torque ?

I have a 2014 RXV and would like to put larger tires on it. One post I read said the following "A stock 235 Amp Curtis RXV controller, when reprogrammed to its full rated power, outperforms the "600 Amp" Navitas RXV controller by 105 Amps."

Most posts I see about the program upgrade is for speed but I am only interested in torque. Lots of hills in my area but top speed would be under 10 MPH.

Is it true that you (no ... not me) can reprogram the control for max torque?
Bulkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2019, 03:53 PM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Curtis RXV controller programmed for torque ?

The larger the rear tires, the less torque you will get. The RXV controller also has a drivability limit for tire size, based upon the amperage of the controller. The motor maps, which are directly responsible for motor torque over the motors RPM range, are limited to a 20.5" tire for the stock 235 Amp controller. And you don't need a lift kit for 20.5" tires. A 3" lift would clear a larger tire than the stock 235 amp controller can handle.

The 105 amp reference was made to the way that Navitas advertises amps on their RXV controller vs the way most AC controller manufacturers advertise amps. They tend to exceed Peak vs RMS. I don't want to start a conflict, I just prefer manufacturers use an even scale for comparisons.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:10 PM   #3
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
The 105 amp reference was made to the way that Navitas advertises amps on their RXV controller vs the way most AC controller manufacturers advertise amps. They tend to exceed Peak vs RMS. I don't want to start a conflict, I just prefer manufacturers use an even scale for comparisons.
Reminds me of some inflated stereo specs from the 70’s.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:18 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Reminds me of some inflated stereo specs from the 70’s.
Yeah, but when quoting THD, they at least gave a realistic number there. You sound like you might be part of a dying breed who knows what wow and flutter means.. Capstan and pinch roller, what's that?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:50 AM   #5
Bulkey
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Bob, as I understand your post, the RXV will only handle 20.5" tires no matter what programming is done to the controller? I was only going to go to 20" tires anyway so that doesn't hurt my plans. I was going to put the new tires on and then see if I need a 3" lift kit to look a little more beefed up. I'm pretty sure the lift kit will not hurt torque, only the larger rear tires?
Bulkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:14 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulkey View Post
Bob, as I understand your post, the RXV will only handle 20.5" tires no matter what programming is done to the controller? I was only going to go to 20" tires anyway so that doesn't hurt my plans. I was going to put the new tires on and then see if I need a 3" lift kit to look a little more beefed up. I'm pretty sure the lift kit will not hurt torque, only the larger rear tires?
Correct. A lift doesn't do anything to the motor/rear-end/tires. That remains in contact with the road, regardless of what you may do to the cart's body. Raise it or even eliminate it altogether, the motor/rear-end/tires don't care.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:01 PM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulkey View Post
Well... If you want larger tires than the 20.5" tires, a reprogrammed Curtis 350 Amp upgrade controller will handle 23" tires just fine. It is the stock 235 Amp controller that cannot deliver enough current to provide the torque required to turn the larger tires without endangering the longevity of the controller.

As yurtle mentioned, a lift kit does not affect torque, but it DOES affect stability, especially at speed! If you want to go over 30 MPH, you're probably not going to want to add a lift kit. Safety is more important than looks. But it's your Arse on the line there...

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO