lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2019, 07:41 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2002 ezgo 36v project

Quote:
Originally Posted by zb02hd View Post
Can the xct-pds be tuned to perform better with the current motor? Scotty seemed like it wasn’t a major deal but like I said I’m kind of new to all the after market parts on golf carts. I figured it would be around the same price to go quality aftermarket parts and end up having better performance than trying to convert the cart back to stock
Not having a speed sensor is the issue with your current (DCS) motor.

The XCT-PDS controller uses the motor RPM information provided by the speed sensor to optimize the field mapping and regen braking and max RPM limiting. Unlike the stock PDS controller the XCT-PDS will run more than just at low speeds without a speed sensor, but it runs slower than it does with a speed sensor and doesn't have as much low end torque.

A XCT-DCS is designed for the DCS motor and will perform better with the motor you have than an XCT-PDS, but the jacks on a XCT-DCS don't match the plugs on a PDS wiring harness. However, a PDS to DCX wiring adapter adapts the PDS plug to fit a XCT-DCS controller. The problem being the XCT-DCS doesn't have a jack for a speed sensor if you or some future owner decides to upgrade the motor and all aftermarket sepex motors have speed sensors

Basically it is a Hobson's choice situation.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2019, 11:16 PM   #12
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

As JohnnieB suggested I would get a new motor w/ a speed sensor and go back to the PDS wire harness. Sounds like someone had a DCS motor kicking around and slapped it on the cart. Not hard to come by DCS motors... I have a DCS motor sitting in my garage with no home. I also have a PDS motor keeping it company with no home... 5kw AC motor is replacing it. :D
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:58 AM   #13
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

All DCS (and PDS) cars i've seen have shunt wound, not series wound motors, where the 'S1' and 'S2' say 'F1' and 'F2' instead.

DCS was EZGO's first attempt at a regenerative braking golf car. a series wound motor is incapable of regen braking. I don't even know what would happen if you put a series wound motor in a shunt wound car.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:41 AM   #14
zb02hd
Not Yet Wild

I’m thinking I’ll just get it running for the summer and tear it all apart and replace a lot of things and go with an upgraded motor this winter. I started going through all the wiring yesterday and see what all for sure is damaged. Have to test all the switches and start ordering more parts.
zb02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:00 PM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
All DCS (and PDS) cars i've seen have shunt wound, not series wound motors, where the 'S1' and 'S2' say 'F1' and 'F2' instead.

DCS was EZGO's first attempt at a regenerative braking golf car. a series wound motor is incapable of regen braking. I don't even know what would happen if you put a series wound motor in a shunt wound car.
The DCS sepex motor had studs labeled S1 and S2 that were the same size as the A1 and A2 studs, so they can easily be mistaken for series wound motors. In fact, when a DCS motor is mounted, there is no way to tell if it is a series or sepex except by the part number.

I checked the part number given in Post#1. The OP has a DCS motor.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:52 PM   #16
zb02hd
Not Yet Wild

So what would be a good motor to look at for a future upgrade. Will be ridden on paved roads small to mildly steep hills.
zb02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:08 PM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by zb02hd View Post
So what would be a good motor to look at for a future upgrade. Will be ridden on paved roads small to mildly steep hills.
https://www.cartsunlimited.net/ezgo-motors.html
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO