lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2019, 07:23 AM   #1
Rdecanio
Not Yet Wild

Default Switched power for accessories

Hi everyone! I am looking for switched power on my 2003 Ezgo txt for my radio and accessories. When i tap in to ignition switch directly, i lose power briefly when moving from F to R. I’ve read this is an issue, but cannot seem to find what to do in lieu. Thanks for the help! I’m new to cart parts and wiring, but have been wiring low voltage in cars, homes(lights) for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rdecanio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2019, 09:06 AM   #2
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Switched power for accessories

Model of cart helps.
Did you use delicated “switched” wire from convertor or just the wire that supplies power to convertor. Not all converters have a switched wire and it does make a difference.
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:32 AM   #3
Rdecanio
Not Yet Wild

Default Switched power for accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra,1 View Post
Model of cart helps.

Did you use delicated “switched” wire from convertor or just the wire that supplies power to convertor. Not all converters have a switched wire and it does make a difference.

Not sure model past Ezgo txt battery powered 36v- the serial number was not on it when i bought it. I think it’s an 03. I was using wire from ignition, but that cuts out when the cart goes from F to N. Not sure where else i can get switched power from

Thank you for your help!

Old 08-10-2019, 12:04 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Series carts do this to protect the speed controller. Is it a series cart? If yes pull power off of the battery side of the big solenoid posts and put a dedicated switch on it.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:11 PM   #5
Rdecanio
Not Yet Wild

Gotcha. Was hoping i wouldn’t need to install a switch i would have to physically flip, that there was something that activated and stayed activated once key was turned on. Thanks

Old 08-10-2019, 02:45 PM   #6
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdecanio View Post
Gotcha. Was hoping i wouldn’t need to install a switch i would have to physically flip, that there was something that activated and stayed activated once key was turned on. Thanks

You can, and there's a couple of ways to do it, but you have to provide a little more information. Cobra asked if your converter had a trigger wire. If it does, the trigger wire can be ran through the key switch and allow the converter to be switched on there. The amp draw from the converter does not run through that trigger wire, it only turns it on. If your converter does not have a trigger wire, you can use a relay.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:29 PM   #7
Rdecanio
Not Yet Wild

My converter does not have a trigger wire. Can you walk me through the relay example/wiring? Thanks guys - I’m in uncharted territory here

Old 08-11-2019, 06:18 PM   #8
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1259698

Look for Sergio’s diagram in that thread.

The relay is used to handle the load that you don’t want running through a switch. The relay is energized by whatever switch you want. The contacts that get connected inside the relay when it is energized handle the load.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:45 PM   #9
Rdecanio
Not Yet Wild

This is great, thanks. Will this handle the issue where the “key on switch” wire loses power briefly when you move from f-n-r? Today, if i hook anything up to the ‘switch on’ wire, since it is directly wired to the FNR, it loses power when in the N state and shuts the radio down until i move it back to F or R
Old 08-11-2019, 07:57 PM   #10
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...itch-wire.html

Check out Sergio’s post in this thread.

Do you have a 3 position key switch? Are you considering running the reducer from a separate switch?

At the top of the page there is a search button. Click on it, use advanced search, then enter reducer and choose Sergio in the part where you can enter the author. He has posted numerous times how to do this in different configurations.

Another thing to think about is the radio presets, if you plan on using that. The Jensen marine stereo in my cart maintains the presets without power. Not sure how many other have that option.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO