lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2019, 04:18 PM   #1
kellett5261
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EzGo Workhorse motor

SO i finally threw either a rod or a bearing in my workhorse. i changed her name to tappy () that being said i am on the fence about what to do next . . . .

I liked the Robin 350cc motor for how quiet it was & how fast it was on top end (23-25 mph) but never really had the balls i feel it should for being a 2 cylinder engine. my old CC with the 290cc had more take off than what i currently had with the 350cc.

i want to upgrade it because to rebuild i heard it a mother trucker and i don't want to mess with it & a reman motor is $800 +- and core, maybe buy a used motor for the right price? been looking at the Vegas Cart's kits to throw a big block predator or vanguard in there. not really sure my frame is going to last after that and i really don't want to do a full frame strip down & rebuild because i just re-did my entire body with raptor liner/ speaker pods etc.

has anyone tried a 420? or had luck with a big block? i am not abusive with my toys but i am quite rough on them with still maintaining the crap out of them. I don't want to go through all the hassle of doing the 18-22hp motor and crack my frame.

any info or input of what you guys have tried and do's & dont's will be appreciated.

thx
kellett5261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2019, 06:16 AM   #2
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: EzGo Workhorse motor

23-25 mph and chit happens.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:18 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoveBolt View Post
23-25 mph and chit happens.
What he said.

I would check your frame first for rust. IF it's suspect to begin with, then repair it or find another cart. Putting a 23hp vanguard alone in a workhorse isn't going to crack the frame. Jumping motorcross jumps may yield a slightly different result, but that's a different story

Those frames are robust. Simply adding a bigger engine isn't going to break the cart.

And if you want to go fast, speed gears are a good idea. a bigger stronger engine will overcome the torque disadvantages of the speed gears.

A "build it yourself" VC460 would be a good option, you can build the motor with heavier valve springs, billet rod, etc. to handle higher RPM's with stock gearing and still get mid/high 20's mph (depending on how you build the motor). Or a vanguard 23hp with speed gears would probably get you near 40mph. IT all depends if you're comfortable building your own engine from a box of parts, or looking for a simple afternoon bolt-in swap.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:12 AM   #4
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

If you are capable of and consider building a VC460, then i would suggest rebuilding the Robin engine. i dont know where you got the idea it would be a difficult job, its a really simple engine to work on. The engine rebuild manual is available as a download i believe, from this site and that makes it even easier. you can have the engine out, rebuilt and back in in a short day if you have all the parts and good cylinders. When i had my own shop i could do two in a day! This way there are no mods to do and everything works as it should. A well rebuilt Robin engine will probably last over twenty years maybe much more Assuming you keep the rpm below 5000). A good crisp freshly built engine will also cope with high speed gears no problem. I assume you have a pre MCI engine and a simple mod for more grunt would be to find a used 295cc cylinder head and it will fit straight on giving you around 18 to 20 hp. I am pretty sure some of the old school guys here would agree.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:23 AM   #5
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
If you are capable of and consider building a VC460, then i would suggest rebuilding the Robin engine. i dont know where you got the idea it would be a difficult job, its a really simple engine to work on. The engine rebuild manual is available as a download i believe, from this site and that makes it even easier. you can have the engine out, rebuilt and back in in a short day if you have all the parts and good cylinders. When i had my own shop i could do two in a day! This way there are no mods to do and everything works as it should. A well rebuilt Robin engine will probably last over twenty years maybe much more Assuming you keep the rpm below 5000). A good crisp freshly built engine will also cope with high speed gears no problem. I assume you have a pre MCI engine and a simple mod for more grunt would be to find a used 295cc cylinder head and it will fit straight on giving you around 18 to 20 hp. I am pretty sure some of the old school guys here would agree.
I am old school myself and my age shows it :)
I 100 % agree with Cartmaster. Installing these updated engines kills the value if you ever plan on selling the cart.
These engines are so simple to rebuild.
The one problem that is showing up here in the US right now is the availability of quality parts and rising prices.
Still better than any upgrade though as Cartmaster suggested.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:30 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
Installing these updated engines kills the value if you ever plan on selling the cart.
This is a very good point.

When I read you threw a rod, I was under the assumption that there was major damage done (hole in the block, damaged crank, etc) and the motor was not salvageable. If it's rebuild-able I do agree I prefer a stock motor both for value retention, as well as operation, noise, etc. Plus it's a LOT cheaper... Few hundred bucks for new rods, piston, rings, gaskets, valves, etc. As long as your cylinders are not damaged... I have to question why it threw a rod to begin with. If it's oil deprivation then need to check the head and the race where the camshaft rides carefully for any galling or etc.

But if you're looking for lots of power and torque you'd be better off with a vanguard or something similar.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:32 PM   #7
dirtyyoda77
Gone Wild

Club Car

just have it rebuilt and be done with it you will be happier in the long run
dirtyyoda77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:31 PM   #8
Johnmessec
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
I have a 2006 ST480 with the Vanguard and an 01 Workhorse with the 350. I just put in a rebuilt engine in the 350 and it runs like a sick dog. (Yes, the valves are adjusted properly). What does the head from a 295 do for this engine? Larger intakes? At 18-20 hp, it would out power the Vanguard.
Johnmessec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:39 AM   #9
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmessec View Post
I have a 2006 ST480 with the Vanguard and an 01 Workhorse with the 350. I just put in a rebuilt engine in the 350 and it runs like a sick dog. (Yes, the valves are adjusted properly). What does the head from a 295 do for this engine? Larger intakes? At 18-20 hp, it would out power the Vanguard.
Smaller combustion chamber, more compression... my guess.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:42 AM   #10
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Spot on Stovebolt. a smaller combustion chamber. Everything else on the head is the same. You can even use either head gasket for 295 or 350cc.

The cart in my avatar has exactly this set up and it certainly shifts! even with those 26 inch tyres.

This is a very old video, ( 12 years old )but shows my point. It does NOT have a standard muffler, just open headers, hence the noise.

Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO