lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2019, 09:10 AM   #21
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: EzGo Workhorse motor

Nice looking cart. I like the ST cowls :)

If you can find a 350, it is a direct drop in replacement for a nice little upgrade
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-06-2019, 11:23 AM   #22
kellett5261
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Nice looking cart. I like the ST cowls :)

If you can find a 350, it is a direct drop in replacement for a nice little upgrade
thank you man, i still have to reinstall the front basket & I'm looking for a windshield that will fit with the basket. work in progress but thats all on hold due to the motor.

is it even worth redoing the 295? i feel more than capable to redo the engine but id rather have a 350. im trying to get more info on the engine i found to see what size it is and just throw the entire motor & axle in there and be done.

otherwise i may just do the BB swap. its only like around $200 more to do that than a GX 390/420. if i get all new stuff. i do like that i could reuse the factory starter/generator if i went with a 390/420.

well see im looking all over the web or local stuff to find an engine. trying to keep the cost down so the wife doesnt kill me
kellett5261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:49 AM   #23
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Here's what I would do...

If you can float the extra cash for a bit, buy the 350 you saw. Drop it in and let 'er rip.

Rebuild the 295.

Then you have 2 options from there to recoup your cash back...

Option 1:
Sell the rebuilt 295. Probably get $600-1000 for it on ebay since the "rebuild services" are generally around that price range, and you wouldn't be requiring/wanting a core motor back it would sell pretty quick. Then sell the rear end and cradle. This could bring some good money for someone either that has a bad rear end, or someone looking for an electric>gas conversion. You'd get a few hundred bucks for that probably. Between the 2 you should be able to cover your investment of the 350, and maybe plus a few bucks.

Option 2 (this would probably be my personal choice if I were doing it)
Buy the 350. Drop it in and call it a day. Rebuild the 295. Put it on the cradle/rear end you took the 350 from. Buy a cheap electric cart in good condition but "needs batteries" or whatever. With the recent storms, there will probably be a lot of those coming on the market soon, couple hundred bucks. Gut the electric stuff and convert it to a gas cart. Then sell that, have a fun little project out of it. You'd need a muffler, starter/generator, airbox, and a few other odds and ends, but nothing that would be too horrible difficult or expensive to obtain, especially if you're thrifty and do some searching :) Plus you'd still be able to sell that rear end, electric motor, controller, etc. and add a little padding to your pocket.

Either way, I think you could pull it off and keep the wife happy. Option 2 would take a little more time, but be a lot more fun. But then again, I tend to buy the crappiest most junked out carts that show up on craigslist and enjoy making them something I'd be proud to own. (like the one in my avatar right now... been driving it around all week and beginning the "make it nice" phase) I make a little money selling them, but that's really not why I do it. I do it because I enjoy the process and enjoy turning wrenches. I call it my "self-funding hobby". The extra cash flow on top of it just keeps the flow going and my wife happy.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:42 PM   #24
kellett5261
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Here's what I would do...

If you can float the extra cash for a bit, buy the 350 you saw. Drop it in and let 'er rip.

Rebuild the 295.

Then you have 2 options from there to recoup your cash back...

Option 1:
Sell the rebuilt 295. Probably get $600-1000 for it on ebay since the "rebuild services" are generally around that price range, and you wouldn't be requiring/wanting a core motor back it would sell pretty quick. Then sell the rear end and cradle. This could bring some good money for someone either that has a bad rear end, or someone looking for an electric>gas conversion. You'd get a few hundred bucks for that probably. Between the 2 you should be able to cover your investment of the 350, and maybe plus a few bucks.

Option 2 (this would probably be my personal choice if I were doing it)
Buy the 350. Drop it in and call it a day. Rebuild the 295. Put it on the cradle/rear end you took the 350 from. Buy a cheap electric cart in good condition but "needs batteries" or whatever. With the recent storms, there will probably be a lot of those coming on the market soon, couple hundred bucks. Gut the electric stuff and convert it to a gas cart. Then sell that, have a fun little project out of it. You'd need a muffler, starter/generator, airbox, and a few other odds and ends, but nothing that would be too horrible difficult or expensive to obtain, especially if you're thrifty and do some searching :) Plus you'd still be able to sell that rear end, electric motor, controller, etc. and add a little padding to your pocket.

Either way, I think you could pull it off and keep the wife happy. Option 2 would take a little more time, but be a lot more fun. But then again, I tend to buy the crappiest most junked out carts that show up on craigslist and enjoy making them something I'd be proud to own. (like the one in my avatar right now... been driving it around all week and beginning the "make it nice" phase) I make a little money selling them, but that's really not why I do it. I do it because I enjoy the process and enjoy turning wrenches. I call it my "self-funding hobby". The extra cash flow on top of it just keeps the flow going and my wife happy.

i was considering both of these, buddy of mine is telling me to just cut ties and get another club car lol. i like this thing. for the 350 swap would the same belt be used ? you have an idea about how much the an overhaul for the 295 wold be ? and best place for parts? i know the market on robin engines is slim.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:57 PM   #25
kellett5261
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

ok so im 100% sure the first 4 numbers on the model # are the 350 engine. i attached a picture just incase im wrong again like last time and assuming. my 295 actually says "295cc" on it.

if i go this route what do/should i do to this engine before i install it ? upgrades at all that will make the engine last longer?

i would obviously do a tune up, plugs, take the brand new coil from my engine, oil, filter etc.

anything you guys recommend thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eh35.jpg (154.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-06-2019, 02:20 PM   #26
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I'd do a valve adjustment, basic tune-up and roll with it.

As for rebuilding your 295, as much as I really prefer OEM parts, EZGO wants a fortune for OEM piston/rings. on their website they want $400 per cylinder (includes piston, rings, wrist pin, circlips, etc). times two.

I'd personally do the aftermarket kit, you can get a Nivel kit or redhawk kit for under $300 with all the rings, pistons, gaskets, rods, etc. Or visit your local ezgo dealer and buy from them. A lot of times they'll give you a price break for buying local, or paying with cash, my local dealer is fantastic. If doing the ebay kit, I'd use the rings, but stick with the OEM pistons unless they're trashed or damaged.

Unless someone here knows somewhere else to buy the OEM rings and rods without spending $1000 for the parts???
Old 09-06-2019, 02:26 PM   #27
kellett5261
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I'd do a valve adjustment, basic tune-up and roll with it.

As for rebuilding your 295, as much as I really prefer OEM parts, EZGO wants a fortune for OEM piston/rings. on their website they want $400 per cylinder (includes piston, rings, wrist pin, circlips, etc). times two.

I'd personally do the aftermarket kit, you can get a Nivel kit or redhawk kit for under $300 with all the rings, pistons, gaskets, rods, etc. Or visit your local ezgo dealer and buy from them. A lot of times they'll give you a price break for buying local, or paying with cash, my local dealer is fantastic. If doing the ebay kit, I'd use the rings, but stick with the OEM pistons unless they're trashed or damaged.

Unless someone here knows somewhere else to buy the OEM rings and rods without spending $1000 for the parts???
yeah that seems a bit steep to even mess with the engine. maybe let someone just buy it as is and let them mess with it. i am not afraid to tear down the engine to re-do it (if the core is good) but i dont want to sit on it for ever.

what is going to be the pro/con's switching to the 350?
Old 09-06-2019, 02:50 PM   #28
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Really no cons, but you'll have a bit more power than the 295 as long as it's in good condition :)

I don't know if your muffler/exhaust will carry over to the new motor or not; maybe trig or someone knows if they're the same. But for a direct bolt-in replacement, really no cons to speak of. I just did the same to one of my club cars... I bought it with a blown up FE290 and dropped a FE350 in it I got from a semi-local member. That little DS is a rocketship! It will cruise around 25mph on 20" tires, and according to my GPS app runs 0-20 in a little over 7 seconds... no regrets at all.

I've got another DS I picked up, it has a FE290, was missing the starter/generator, carb, secondary clutch is frozen and the primary clutch was exploded into a thousand pieces. Luckily I already had everything I needed just laying around... I got it to run a little the other night but haven't messed with it since. But I've also got another FE350 taken apart in a box under my workbench; needs rings, an intake valve, a rod, and a gasket set... really tempting to put that motor together and drop it in...
Old 09-06-2019, 03:02 PM   #29
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Same muffler. I guess I got lost in the posts. Were you going to buy the other engine ? or repair yours ?
I build these engines and not install new pistons. Just rings, gasket set, timing belt and two intake valves. I buy the rings from ezgo and the rest Red Hawk but thats just me
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:07 PM   #30
kellett5261
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
Same muffler. I guess I got lost in the posts. Were you going to buy the other engine ? or repair yours ?
I build these engines and not install new pistons. Just rings, gasket set, timing belt and two intake valves. I buy the rings from ezgo and the rest Red Hawk but thats just me
i found a 350 with a trans axle but he wants $1200 for the entire thing. i dont think its worth that in my opion nor do i need the rear axle. my 295 is toast. not exactly sure whats wrong until i pull it apart. not sure if i am even going to tear it down.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO