lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-11-2020, 03:04 PM   #1
Blind Old Coot
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Prefilter on air filter ?

Does anyone put a filter on their air filter? I put a paper shop towel on one just for giggles since I was tired of replacing them.

Found no change in spark plug color and has been much easier to clean. I still use compressed air to give a chance but it has been staying so much cleaner.

This is what it looks like with winter / lite use after a couple of weeks.

Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200111_133034.jpg (144.4 KB, 0 views)
Blind Old Coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-11-2020, 03:45 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Prefilter on air filter ?

I'd think a shop towel may be a bit restrictive, but a prefilter doesn't usually hurt especially if you run in dusty or dirty conditions. I'd try and match it up with a mower air filter, they come with prefilters for that very reason. Get a foam one. Or you can get a sheet of UNI air filter element for cheap on amazon. You'll want to oil that, but just wrap it around like you did and hold it on with a couple zip ties.

Bar and chain oil works great for those. Dip it in, squeeze it out real good and it's nice and tacky. Itll catch everything and not hurt airflow
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:27 PM   #3
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

I had a workhorse once that the air cleaner was vented through the fire wall, rather than in the engine compartment were the fan is sucking up dirt like a vacuum cleaner. It was a factory deal too, never seen another but it was a good idea.

Check out the louvers..
http://www.frontiernet.net/~irishhills/wh3.JPG
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:56 PM   #4
Blind Old Coot
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

The 1200 Refresher and the 1200 mud buggy ( workhorse)both have the air that come in at the vent via a hose from the outside. Yes, we're out in the country surrounded by fields too.

First couple of tries with the paper filter...so ..it's a tight squeeze with a secondary inner wall in the housing itself. Not much more than a paper towel will fit.

Yes, an oiled prefilter would be the way to go.....hmmmm....

Let me look.....
Blind Old Coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:22 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoveBolt View Post
I had a workhorse once that the air cleaner was vented through the fire wall, rather than in the engine compartment were the fan is sucking up dirt like a vacuum cleaner. It was a factory deal too, never seen another but it was a good idea.

Check out the louvers..
http://www.frontiernet.net/~irishhills/wh3.JPG
Every workhorse I've had is like that. They were all newer though (2007ish) so maybe it's a mci CD pre-mci thing
Old 01-12-2020, 06:50 AM   #6
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Every workhorse I've had is like that. They were all newer though (2007ish) so maybe it's a mci CD pre-mci thing
Both mine were 01 st-350s CP, one did one didn't maybe that's when they started, both had the older
(pre-mci) rectangle filter with a place for a hose on the inlet... would be easy to convert I guess.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 03:40 PM   #7
Pauldeere
Not Yet Wild

I personally think bar and chain on is way to heavy of oil. Maybe K&N filter oil.???
Pauldeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 03:47 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauldeere View Post
I personally think bar and chain on is way to heavy of oil. Maybe K&N filter oil.???
After you ring out the filter, it's just a light coating. It's super sticky and catches pretty much everything. Used it for years on dirt bikes and quads, never had an issue.

The k&n oil is good for k&n type filters that are a woven material. But it's too thin to do much good on the filter media I was referring to. It's too porous. Uni Filter BF-2 12" X 24" X 3/8" 30-PPI Black Coarse Foam https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ONZT5Y..._kx4gEbEANR01E
Old 01-12-2020, 04:04 PM   #9
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Maxima FFT sells their own foam filter oil that is sticky like fly paper. I made up a UNI prefilter from their sheet foam to go over my K&N on my VC 460. It really keeps the intake tract incredibly clean even running here on sand islands. Also use the same oil the UNI foam filter on the Sled engine cart. It grabs debris far better than anything else I tried including the K&N oil. Pics of the build and finished product on pages 10 & 13 in my Vc 460 build. And pics of all 3 of my UNI and K&N 's on cleaning day on page 52.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO