lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2020, 06:00 PM   #1
Stewbuntu
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Gas specific question.

New cart yesterday:
I upgraded from 36v ezgo to a gas g16 yesterday. Works great, topped out at 20.1mph. I haven't spent time wrenching on it yet. Added new gas today. It seemed a little boggy when I put the pedal to the floor at 5mph or so but not a lot so maybe running it, cleaning the plug, carb, etc will help. It doesn't bog down from pedal to the metal from a start or at higher speeds, just when in the lower 3rd of the belt transmission. Air filter looked new. Ordered a 6 inch A-arm lift this morning.

My main question:
So my question is how much torque do you loose going from stock to 20 inch and even 22 inch wheels. My stock truck tailgate is above my waste and it had enough torque to climb into the truck yesterday and my 36v ezgo didn't. Will I still be able to be comparable to the 36v with 20 or 22" tires? It's not a huge deal bc I got used to winching into the back anyway, mainly for safety reasons so I will add a winch to this cart as well. Just trying to think of something for comparison. The 36v had enough torque to get around our swamp and trails so just making sure I will atleast have that much torque. I need clearance and torque more than speed, but larger tires is the only thing that will lift up the rear axel. I went over 6 inch logs on our property all the time with the 36v w lower psi in the tires. It worked well for us. I'd like to go from 20" to 22" this time though. I'm giving up on using my friend's 25" tires so I'm trying to narrow down my choice.

Ok enough rambling what do you think.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
Stewbuntu is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2020, 06:43 PM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: Gas specific question.

https://www.plowmanscarts.com/parts_g_16_g_22.html

https://www.plowmanscarts.com/carts....1581013936&v=2

The clutch kit will help you a lot. Performance Kit and the Hot Setup are great, too.

The generic one size fits all torque springs are too stiff and will rob you of top end.

You'll lose some torque with the 22's, but a good secondary will make up for it.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:46 PM   #3
Dave in VA

Yamaha

Take the cover off of the primary and check the rollers for flat spots. It may need new rollers or replacing.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:51 PM   #4
Stewbuntu
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post

The clutch kit will help you a lot. Performance Kit and the Hot Setup are great, too.

The generic one size fits all torque springs are too stiff and will rob you of top end.

You'll lose some torque with the 22's, but a good secondary will make up for it.
I understand the rollers in the transmission. I had a scooter when I lived on an island years ago. You guys know of any videos or such that teach/deal with our trans specifically so I can learn more. Not sure what part is the secondary.

I once built a wakeboard winch and used a TAV2 torq-a-verter for the winch, like in a go cart and I assumed our trans/clutch was the same

Old 04-22-2020, 07:03 AM   #5
Dave in VA

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewbuntu View Post
I understand the rollers in the transmission. I had a scooter when I lived on an island years ago. You guys know of any videos or such that teach/deal with our trans specifically so I can learn more. Not sure what part is the secondary.

I once built a wakeboard winch and used a TAV2 torq-a-verter for the winch, like in a go cart and I assumed our trans/clutch was the same

The primary/drive clutch--the one attached to the crankshaft--has the rollers. If flat spotted, the clutch will not perform like it's supposed to.

The secondary/driven clutch is attached to the transaxle.

They work together--CVT--Continuously Variable Transmission
Old 05-18-2020, 07:57 PM   #6
Stewbuntu
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Take the cover off of the primary and check the rollers for flat spots. It may need new rollers or replacing.
Update:

Watched a dozen videos about the drive & driven clutches, none had explanation just fixes. I'll open it tomorrow and look at the rollers. The chirping between 5 and 15 mph is really annoying me. Runs better after day 2 when I cut off an inch of the cracked fuel pump hose at the carb clamp, and added new gas. Then last week new starter, and plug. Got paint in last week. LED lights are great. Got the passenger glove box insert from a friend. 6 inch lift is nice 25 inch wheels would be better tho :(

The rollers on a Honda scooter roll in a channel outward as the clutch speeds up. How do the rollers and arms work in our carts?

Wow! $50 for some metal tubes??? Maybe if they were some special weighted performance enhancing rollers, but these seem stock and rather the arms seem to be the weight that moves to the centrifical force. That adjusts the drive clutch??? Any other brand or harder steel suggestions on rollers?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007RYSN24..._oeZWEbP8CJNPQ

Quote:

Driven/Secondary - If I get a looser spring on the driven/secondary vs the OEM stiff spring I'll gain top end speed, but won't I loose low end torque? I'd rather have torque for the forest, hills, farm work, climbing into my truck bed, or up hills offroad vs speed. I drive a lot at 5 to 10 mph in the forest trails.

For the drive/primary I'd rather have faster low end than higher top end for any new roller decisions. I guess it's good from stop to 3mph = enough to whip heads back if I push down too hard. It lags in the mid range from 5 mph to about 10 or 15. 20 is fast enough for my farm/rough rocky roads.

Old 05-19-2020, 06:07 AM   #7
Dave in VA

Yamaha

The OEM drive clutch doesn't need or have performance upgrades. It is what it is. If the rollers have flat spots, replace with these. https://www.plowmanscarts.com/carts....1584983096&v=2 If they aren't flat spotted, it'll be ok. Taking the clutch apart isn't the easiest thing for a novice to do. Replacing it is another option.

A secondary, with a machined sliding sheave and the proper spring for your tire size and usage, will give you the torque and speed that you want. https://www.plowmanscarts.com/carts....1581013936&v=2

None of this will do you any good if the engine isn't operating properly. Clean carb, valves adjusted, air box sealed w/ no air leaks etc.

Plowmans 810-736-1100.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:27 AM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha