lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2020, 06:20 PM   #21
Mcmeadows
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 97 gas EZGO low power

Thanks. I have never taken a motor out but have taken off most everything else. I did watch some of that video and was wondering the whole time if I should be watching it because of him not being real sure about what he was doing. Is there anything else you’d recommend me doing while I have the motor out?
Mcmeadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2020, 06:31 PM   #22
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

If you know 100 % sure the rest of the engine is ok then I would put a new timing belt, rear cylinder head seal, two intake valves and head gasket.

If you do decide to do this take pictures as you go. Put the rockers on just the way they came off when putting it back. I run a long all thread or something through them to keep them in place.

The valve springs can be pushed in with your fingers or make you a tool to do it with. Don't let those tiny keepers fly by your head and go missing on you lol

Get some lapping compound and lap the valves in head. You should see a fine line in middle of valve if they seat good. I don't ever replace the exhaust valves but look at them good anyway.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:32 PM   #23
Walpage
Not Yet Wild

I was having a similar issue. ‘85 ezgo was running fine. Suddenly just didn’t have it. Checked everything, cleaned carb, fuel pump, ..... nothing. Would creep along but no speed or power. Saw a thread earlier said to check for a plugged muffler. I opened the flange up at the muffler and wedged it open with a screwdriver to try. Wow! Felt like I was flyin! Give it a try. Won’t hurt. Solved my problem! 😊
Walpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:03 PM   #24
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walpage View Post
I was having a similar issue. ‘85 ezgo was running fine. Suddenly just didn’t have it. Checked everything, cleaned carb, fuel pump, ..... nothing. Would creep along but no speed or power. Saw a thread earlier said to check for a plugged muffler. I opened the flange up at the muffler and wedged it open with a screwdriver to try. Wow! Felt like I was flyin! Give it a try. Won’t hurt. Solved my problem! 😊
The 1985 had the 2-stroke and intake valves are not used. The muffler being plugged up would not make it have low compression also. 2-strokes most of the time use mix and the muffler would sometimes get stopped up more than these 4-strokes.
Old 08-31-2020, 04:50 PM   #25
Mcmeadows
Not Yet Wild

Well i finally was able to replace intake valves but.... Don't know if i did it right. Got the motor back in and it wont crank. It is spitting gas out of carb into air box. I read some posts on here saying it could be valve related, or timing belt. Either could be possible. I also forgot about keeping the rockers in the correct order until after i had partially mixed them up, so I could have them right or maybe not. Any suggestions?
Old 08-31-2020, 05:33 PM   #26
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Did you go by the manual when timing it ? are your valves adjusted correct ?
Old 08-31-2020, 07:11 PM   #27
Mcmeadows
Not Yet Wild

I did adjust the valves. The timing I paid no attention to just put it back in. I’ll get that straight and try again.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:24 PM   #28
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcmeadows View Post
I did adjust the valves. The timing I paid no attention to just put it back in. I’ll get that straight and try again.
Make sure it is this way
Attached Images
File Type: jpg robbins timing.jpg (102.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-12-2020, 02:15 PM   #29
Mcmeadows
Not Yet Wild

I put on a new timing belt correctly. Broke the old one trying to get it back on. It is firing up now but smoking a little and there’s an oil leak right by this bolt I’m pointing to in the picture. Also I can’t get this bolt to tighten down. Would that be causing the oil leak? Or does this bolt just hold the cover on?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 712EF5CB-6A90-4E20-8A6E-5983A17EB622.jpg (186.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-21-2020, 03:36 PM   #30
Mcmeadows
Not Yet Wild

Got the oil leak worked out. I'm pretty much back in the same place where I started now. 90-95 is the compression on both sides. I'm considering buying a rebuilt engine to put in it. What else could be causing low compression? Could it be the intake valves not seated well?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO