lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-14-2020, 05:43 PM   #1
DonJen06
Not Yet Wild

Default ‘85 G1 gas electrical help needed

Hello, newbie here. I’m sure this topic is probably been talked about thousands of times. I searched as much as my old eyes can see. I’m not computer savvy, but mechanically inclined. Hard time seeing though. Please bear with me....

1985 Yamaha G1 2stroke. Runs great. Motor good. Drove it, parked, went to back out and nothing. Negative fuse blown. I changed fuse and it ran until I stopped and switched to reverse again. Checked wiring, replaced negative fuse again, and worked in forward. But blew negative fuse again. I did decide to change the key/position switch. It was original and worn a bit. And I changed a relay because as I was checking the coil On a separate battery (while removed) my shaky hands Blew the coil. My mistake.
Anyways, after replacing those items after cart sat at camp for a week, it ran good, forward and reverse.. until I stopped. Now when I change the negative fuse, it blows immediately with key off.
I’m “thinking” switch on the pedal (start/stop switch?).....

Any help would be great..
Thank you all so much.

I’ll try to read up more when my eyes rest a bit. It took over 45 minutes to type this already.

Thank you again.
DonJen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2020, 02:09 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: ‘85 G1 gas electrical help needed

Try disconnecting the pedal start/stop switch. Does the fuse blow? If not, replace the switch. Sounds like that switch might be shorted out in the off position.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:26 PM   #3
DonJen06
Not Yet Wild

Ok, checked out the cart this morning. I disconnected the stop switch as suggested. Immediate negative fuse blown.
So I disconnected every electrical component one by one and continually checked the fuse after each one.
After going through a dozen fuses, it blows only when the BLACK wire on the magneto is plugged in. I hooked EVERYTHING back up “except” the black magneto wire and cart runs great. No issues in forward, reverse, or key in any position with pedal depressed or not.
So to double check again, I plugged the black wire on magneto in. And fuse immediately blew. I unplugged only the black wire on magneto and everything is operating great.

I did check the black wire (with all magneto wires unplugged) to motor. It is grounded. Brown wire also.

So am I to assume that this is a magneto grounded to motor and/or a charging issue?

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2020, 04:36 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJen06 View Post

So am I to assume that this is a magneto grounded to motor and/or a charging issue?
You did exactly what I would have done, unplug one thing at a time. So yeah, sounds like you have a problem with the magneto. The engine will have to come out to make replacing the parts easier, but overall not a huge job, not extremely difficult.

The problem will be finding a replacement. They are no longer available from the dealer, as far as I know. The ignition coil is available aftermarket, so maybe that's all you need. The pulser isn't available.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:49 AM   #5
DonJen06
Not Yet Wild

Thank you. I’m waiting for the battery to die with the black wire unplugged. I am assuming that that prevents charging. Other than that, wife drove it around as usual with no issues yesterday. It’s a 2nd cart for our Small, flat campground. Only use it for about 5 miles a day on weekends.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:23 PM   #6
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Try rickystator or rmstator for a rewind service I’m pretty sure one or both companies has done the G1 stator
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:27 PM   #7
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
You did exactly what I would have done, unplug one thing at a time. So yeah, sounds like you have a problem with the magneto. The engine will have to come out to make replacing the parts easier, but overall not a huge job, not extremely difficult.

The problem will be finding a replacement. They are no longer available from the dealer, as far as I know. The ignition coil is available aftermarket, so maybe that's all you need. The pulser isn't available.
Slo
He needing part number 2 or 3
https://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-g1-a3-g...l#.XzsuDyRq2Ec
Old 08-18-2020, 07:48 AM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
I don't have them. I'm not a dealer. I don't think those are still available. Maybe NOS?

You might call Plowman's and see what he says.

The G1 is so old and has been out of production so long, it's getting difficult to find parts. I used to buy old G1 carts for parts. I have since sold most of my spares, I'm out of the G1 game.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:51 PM   #9
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I don't have them. I'm not a dealer. I don't think those are still available. Maybe NOS?

You might call Plowman's and see what he says.

The G1 is so old and has been out of production so long, it's getting difficult to find parts. I used to buy old G1 carts for parts. I have since sold most of my spares, I'm out of the G1 game.
Lol I figured you didn’t have them. I was just asking which one you thought he may need. They come up from time to time on eBay
Old 08-19-2020, 08:10 PM   #10
DonJen06
Not Yet Wild

Thanks all. I’ll check around.
I will post anything I find and update..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha