lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2020, 02:16 AM   #1
Danimal1q2w3
Not Yet Wild

Question 92 G9 Tweaks, belt, governor, etc

Hey guys. I have a 1992 G9 with 22 inch tires and a jakes lift (not sure how many inches)

I have been doing lots of reading here and really want to increase the speed from 13 to 18-20 ish mph.

I read about bypassing the governor and couldn’t figure it out. I came to the conclusion that the previous owner already did this. My question regarding this is: how high can it be revved? If I move the throttle with my finger the engine revvs way up. It’s screaming. Is that what you guys experience when you adjust the throttle cable to the pedal to have it pull it that tight?

Also, what can be done to modify the exhaust to make it less restrictive, and what kind of effect does that have on the level of noise? It is nice and quiet and want to keep it that way.

Would the shorter belt help as well?

Would a higher torque spring on the secondary clutch help or hinder?

If each of these things gives a 1-2 mph increase each, that would achieve my goal of increasing my speed by 7 mph

I don’t want to drop the money on the pullmans or plowmans kit right now, forgive me I can’t remember the name correctly. We spent a lot resurrecting this cart from the dead. It’s been fun and me and my old man want to make her just a little faster

Thank you
Danimal1q2w3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2020, 11:14 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 92 G9 Tweaks, belt, governor, etc

Search how to adjust the governor, either it's there, or it's not. If you cant determine if it's even there, you arent ready to modify it.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:28 PM   #3
Danimal1q2w3
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Search how to adjust the governor, either it's there, or it's not. If you cant determine if it's even there, you arent ready to modify it.
It’s not. I thought that the cart I had wasn’t what I thought or was thinking that someone swapped in something else before I owned it. Didn’t realize it was already done. Also so many pics are broken on this site.

Didn’t answer any of my questions really though.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:46 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I got my G 14 with stock tires ungoverned with some carb and exhaust mods into the low to mid 20 mph range. You should be able to get about the same number also. It took a little distance to get there to about 4500 rpms. I only had the tiny tach back then so that is why I say about 4500 rpms.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 06:58 AM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Top speed all depends on gear ratio, tire size, and rpm of the engine. If you have stock gears and 22" tires you should be able to achieve 20-22 mph with a bypassed governor. If not, your engine is either not revving up enough or your clutches are not shifting all the way.

If there is not governor on your cart, the throttle cable from the pedal should be hooked directly to the carb? If so, when you push the throttle pedal down, do you not get full open on the carb? If not, that's your problem. You're not getting full rpm from the engine. I'd look at the cable and how it's hooked up etc.

Get a tach so you can monitor your rpm. Look at your clutches and belt for signs of wear and tear.

Any modifications you make to the exhaust system will only make it louder. A loud exhaust doesn't necessarily increase power.

A bigger spring in the secondary clutch won't give you more top speed, it might even take 1-2 mph away if it's not the correct spring. The only reason I would do this mod is if I needed more torque for pulling weight like a trailer or 3 extra passengers. The larger spring basically keeps the cart in "low gear" for a longer period of time, allowing the heavier weight cart with a load on it, to be able to accelerate.

I'd suggest making sure your current setup is "tip top" before you start switching parts out and making modifications etc.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:02 AM   #6
Danimal1q2w3
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Top speed all depends on gear ratio, tire size, and rpm of the engine. If you have stock gears and 22" tires you should be able to achieve 20-22 mph with a bypassed governor. If not, your engine is either not revving up enough or your clutches are not shifting all the way.

If there is not governor on your cart, the throttle cable from the pedal should be hooked directly to the carb? If so, when you push the throttle pedal down, do you not get full open on the carb? If not, that's your problem. You're not getting full rpm from the engine. I'd look at the cable and how it's hooked up etc.

Get a tach so you can monitor your rpm. Look at your clutches and belt for signs of wear and tear.

Any modifications you make to the exhaust system will only make it louder. A loud exhaust doesn't necessarily increase power.

A bigger spring in the secondary clutch won't give you more top speed, it might even take 1-2 mph away if it's not the correct spring. The only reason I would do this mod is if I needed more torque for pulling weight like a trailer or 3 extra passengers. The larger spring basically keeps the cart in "low gear" for a longer period of time, allowing the heavier weight cart with a load on it, to be able to accelerate.

I'd suggest making sure your current setup is "tip top" before you start switching parts out and making modifications etc.

Everything is tip top. Both clutches are new, and the engine was rebuilt. New carb as well. It may just be a matter of the engine not revving high enough. How would you go about adding a tach? How many rpm is too much?
Old 10-14-2020, 06:37 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Most stock engines will rev to 3700 rpm or so without any modifications. Some engines have an electronic governor, I don't think the G9 does, I could be wrong. If it does it will probably top out at that same rpm. If it does not, the engine should safely go to 4000-4200 before valve float occurs. If the valves float too much you can bend a push rod or break a rocker arm. So, don't rev past 4000 and you'll be safe.

Tachs? You can pick one up from Vegas Carts, Cart Parts Plus, or Plowman's Carts. Usually less than $100. These tachs work by picking up a signal from the spark plug wire to get rpm. Super easy to install. There will be a hot wire, a ground wire, an illumination wire (optional) and your inductive pick up wire that mounts to the plug wire. You will have to set it for single cylinder 4 stroke, found in the instructions.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 01:17 PM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

As mentioned earlier I used to rev my G 14 to 4500 rpms all the time. As you can see in my pre part out tear down the valves never floated and besides running the out of spec piston everything looks perfect inside.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:21 PM   #9
Danimal1q2w3
Not Yet Wild

Awesome. Thanks guys. I picked up a digital one on prime day for 15 bucks shipped. Hundreds of 5 star reviews
Old 10-15-2020, 01:38 PM   #10
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I used the digital tach on my stock G 14 for the 6 years I ran it. Even though that tach has lag it is not like you are going to roaring up to red line.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha