lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-05-2021, 08:35 PM   #1
blackberrybunny
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Question I hear a hissing sound when I press on my brake pedal.

Hello everyone,
I've had so much trouble with my Yamaha gas golf cart, but I love it so much. Recently, I had the solenoid replaced. And some wiring. I bought this cart used, about 3 years ago, from a private used golf carts seller. He pieces together carts, and resells them. I know it. I get it. It's how he makes a living.... but I've had to take it back to him three times now over the past 3 years.
This final time, I thought everything was FIXED. But when I got on it today, and pressed the gas pedal, nothing. My heart sank. I tried again, and it backed out of my carport. When I hit the brake, I could hear a hissing sound. I tried again. Hissing. Tried again, didn't hear hissing.
I'm thinking-- it is a loose wire?? She's got a brand new battery, a brand new solenoid, air filter is good, gas filter is good. Oil, check. Starter/generator, nearly new.
I'm 100% disabled and have never been able to drive, and I have 5 acres to take care of, and this cart is the only 'vehicle' I have to get around on. It costs me $150 each time to have it picked up and brought back, plus parts and labor, and I've already invested hundreds just in the past couple of years already. I need some ideas/advice/help. Thank you.
blackberrybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-06-2021, 09:35 AM   #2
Godfather
Getting Wild

Default Re: I hear a hissing sound when I press on my brake pedal.

If the sound happens ONLY when the brake is applied, most likely the brakes need service (pads/shoes).
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 10:12 AM   #3
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberrybunny View Post
Hello everyone,
I've had so much trouble with my Yamaha gas golf cart, but I love it so much. Recently, I had the solenoid replaced. And some wiring. I bought this cart used, about 3 years ago, from a private used golf carts seller. He pieces together carts, and resells them. I know it. I get it. It's how he makes a living.... but I've had to take it back to him three times now over the past 3 years.
This final time, I thought everything was FIXED. But when I got on it today, and pressed the gas pedal, nothing. My heart sank. I tried again, and it backed out of my carport. When I hit the brake, I could hear a hissing sound. I tried again. Hissing. Tried again, didn't hear hissing.
I'm thinking-- it is a loose wire?? She's got a brand new battery, a brand new solenoid, air filter is good, gas filter is good. Oil, check. Starter/generator, nearly new.
I'm 100% disabled and have never been able to drive, and I have 5 acres to take care of, and this cart is the only 'vehicle' I have to get around on. It costs me $150 each time to have it picked up and brought back, plus parts and labor, and I've already invested hundreds just in the past couple of years already. I need some ideas/advice/help. Thank you.
Sorry. The seller cobbles carts together, "fixes" it so you have to have him "fix" it every year, and charges you $150 for the privilege of letting him "fix" it. You need a different mechanic...

What year and model cart are we talking about? G22?

Is it making the noise when you apply the brakes coming to a stop?
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:48 AM   #4
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

What year/model car is this?
Are you certain that the hissing and no start condition aren't related to the accelerator pedal and not the brake pedal?

The brake pedal could give you grinding when coming to a stop but there really isn't anything electrical related to the brakes unless you have brake lights and I doubt that they would hiss.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:55 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I agree with Dave 100%. This guy sounds like an a-hole and shouldn’t be fixing carts. It’s guys like that, that as you said “cobble” them together that gives the rest of the folks that do things the right way a bad name. And charging you $150 to fix what he didn’t fix the first time is just wrong.

It would be helpful to know the year and details of your cart. Some Yamahas had a wet brake system that is inside the rear end. Quite a project to service them, as the rear axle needs to be removed and taken apart.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha