lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2021, 06:38 PM   #1
Suprbean89
Not Yet Wild

Default G2 Front Alignment

Hi everyone.
New member here and already a wealth of information gained.

I have a 1990 Yamaha g2 cart that I’ve had for probably 25 years. It’s been bone stock and runs like a champ. I decided I wanted to bring it up to date and installed a 4” lift along with 10” wheels/20” tires. I’m having some concerns when it comes to the front wheels. On flat ground they toe in a little bit. I worked on the tie rods to get them aligned. However, I feel like it still sits with too much of a toe in. I jacked up the front end and it gets worse.

Could the hubs be bent? Anything else need adjusting?

Any help and info would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F1D2ACB1-6F93-49AF-AE0A-5616093DC738.jpg (20.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpg (194.8 KB, 0 views)
Suprbean89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2021, 01:15 AM   #2
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G2 Front Alignment

Measurements need to be made with the cart sitting on level ground and preferably with a 'normal' load on suspension.

What lift kit did you go with?
I put 20" tires and 10" wheels on my G2 without a need for a lift. No issues.
Jammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:38 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Check your tie rod ends for looseness. If they are worn your toe setting will never stay put. Yes, check your hubs too, should be tight. Those also have "king pins" and they can be worn out as well. There should be zero up and down movement of the wheel. Since you have replaced your a arms with new ones from the lift kit they should be tight as well.

When setting up your toe, use a long straight edge like a 10' pipe on the outer face of the tire/wheel and match it up to the rear wheels/tires. That will get you close to zero. Then, just a hair "toe in". This is the way I've done it on every cart I work on and works quite well. If your rear tires are offset more then the fronts you can draw chalk lines to compare. I just keep the cart in the garage, use a plumb bob and the 10 foot pipe, and use the kids sidewalk chalk. Has never failed me.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:23 AM   #4
Suprbean89
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the responses. The lift kit was just a 4” kit. The hubs do seem to wiggle a little when it’s on the jack. I adjusted the tie rods with the cart on flat ground.

I try to make adjustments with the 2 people who will be driving it mostly sitting on the seat. Maybe that will give it a truer load.

I’ll look at the hubs and king pins as well.
Suprbean89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 02:44 PM   #5
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

There are several ways to successfully align the front end of your cart. The one that I use is to take nylon string and some fish hooks. I tie the hooks to the string and hook it to the tread of the front tire in line with the axle then stretch it to the rear tire in line with the axle also. I use a length of 1x2 wood with a 6”x12” square screw to it and a speed square to measure the front and rear wheel base. I added some wheel spacers on the rear wheels to compensate for the wider stance of the Jakes 6” lift kit axles. I use some wooden spacers under the string on the front wheels to compensate for the difference between the front and rear axle with. This method helps to keep the steering wheel strait while adjusting the front wheels separately . After each adjustment you need to remove the strings and roll the cart back several feet and roll it back in to position to settle the front end and recheck your measurements. A 1/8” toe in works well for me.
LimitedEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha