lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2021, 06:24 PM   #1
Ktrilla
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Screeching when starting - G9

Well I am back with another troubleshooting issue. Following the rebuild, I put on new belts. The starter belt seemed to tight and wouldn’t allow it to turnover easily so I put the old belt on. Now, when you give it gas to start it screeches like crazy! It will eventually kick over and run great. Any ideas?
Ktrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2021, 05:44 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Screeching when starting - G9

Weak battery would be my first guess. If the starter/gen wouldn't spin the engine with the new belt on, maybe the battery doesn't have the power to turn it. Have the battery load tested.

The screetch with the old belt is the belt slipping. The starter/gen is able to spin in the old worn out belt.

If the new belt is too tight, it could be binding the starter/gen up. You could try a slightly smaller belt if there isn't any more adjustment.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:24 AM   #3
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Put the new belt on and start you repair from there.
Also, check and clean all of your battery cables, cable ends and cable connections both positive and negative,
You need amps to spin the starter so just reading 12 volts between two points doesn't mean everything is good.
Usually when you push the pedal and there is hesitation before it spins the motor that means either a amp resistance (connection or corrosion)
or you are in need of some brushes or starter attention.

Worn pulley(s) on the starter or clutch will allow belt to slip as well.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:42 PM   #4
Ktrilla
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks! I will get a new battery. Any suggestions?

Here is a video I uploaded to YouTube to show the issue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJEIuzFbvEU
Old 06-03-2021, 06:48 AM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

A good working starting system will continue to spin if the belt is loose, It sounds like the belt is loose but also the starter doesn't have the power to continue spinning.
This would stem from, weak battery, loose/corroded battery cables or ends, loose/corroded cable connections or starter/generator in need of some brushes and commutator polish.
Any resistance from the above issues will restrict the amps needed to start properly and consistently.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:08 AM   #6
Ktrilla
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thank you for the response! I checked the starter belt and it was very loose. I adjusted the bolt and that alone made a difference. I will get a new battery today and see where that leaves me. The battery is old and needs to be replaced anyways. From there I will target the connections and see where I land.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:55 AM   #7
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Good game plan.....
Old 06-05-2021, 01:06 PM   #8
Ktrilla
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

The battery seemed to be the issue. The screeching is gone and the response to the throttle is much better.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha