lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2021, 07:36 AM   #1
Cat Guy
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G9 with weak spark

Good morning all,
I am having a weak spark issue with a G9 cart. I built a complete new harness for the cart (found a handful of wires with cracked insulation on them so decided to rewire entire cart). I replaced the coil and ignitor. Checked all of the grounds (ran extra battery to frame, battery to engine grounds to be sure). checked the pulsar coil ground. had a 2v ac reading on the pulsar coil when unplugged and cranking.
Jumped the key switch and the accelerator stop switch.
Can anyone tell me what I should see for a reading on the 2 leads from the ignitor to the pulsar coil while cranking?
One other thing I am seeing is while system voltage is at 12.8 volts I am only seeing 10.8 on the red/white lead to the coil. Is that correct to have that drop?
Any help would be great.
Thanks
Cat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2021, 10:41 AM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: G9 with weak spark

So what is the problem with the cart, is it not starting?
Is the spark consistently firing but just looks weak?
Some peoples weak spark is just a CDI style ignition spark characteristic.
Back in the day, old points ignitions had a very bright yellow spark and when CDI or magneto ignitions came out everyone had to get used to a small blue spark, but it worked.
What is your cart not doing?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:42 AM   #3
crash12888
Gone Crazy

And welcome to the nut house!!
Old 06-08-2021, 08:38 AM   #4
Cat Guy
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Ya, the issue is weak spark. when it begins to crank over the spark is blue for the first couple seconds then it gets real weak and sometimes even goes away.
Cat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:20 PM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

I'm gonna lean toward saving some time and going with the Chrysler ignition swap.
Chased spark Gremlins on my brothers cart until we did the swap and never looked back.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha