lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-24-2021, 01:23 PM   #1
Stone
Gone Wild

Default Honing with new rings?

I am about ready to put everything back together and will start by honing the cylinder to help the new rings seat. I'm curious how critical the honing is?

The piston and cylinder were in good shape and I had the cylinder tested for consistent diameter.

How important is new cross hatching?
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2021, 01:56 PM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Honing with new rings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
I am about ready to put everything back together and will start by honing the cylinder to help the new rings seat. I'm curious how critical the honing is?

The piston and cylinder were in good shape and I had the cylinder tested for consistent diameter.

How important is new cross hatching?
Very important. Go by the manual
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 02:12 PM   #3
Stone
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
Very important. Go by the manual
Can you point out where in the manual? I can't find it in mine.
Old 08-24-2021, 02:28 PM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

All you want is a crosshatch pattern to rough it up. You achieve that by turning the drill at a slow consistent speed and moving it up and down fairly quickly. You aren't removing any material.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 02:32 PM   #5
Stone
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
All you want is a crosshatch pattern to rough it up. You achieve that by turning the drill at a slow consistent speed and moving it up and down fairly quickly.
Thanks!

I have a stone hone which I assume is okay, I have heard that a ball hone is better but I don't know if it's worth $50 to buy a ball hone when I doubt this cart will ever see another hundred miles.
Old 08-24-2021, 02:48 PM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
Thanks!

I have a stone hone which I assume is okay, I have heard that a ball hone is better but I don't know if it's worth $50 to buy a ball hone when I doubt this cart will ever see another hundred miles.
I have always used the stone hone on these engines and all worked well. I make sure the drill turns slow but my pace up and down is fast trying not to leave the cylinder and keeping the hone as straight as you can get.

Don't take much to get the crosshatch. I also use WD-40 which has always worked for me. I have used mineral spirit in the past on engines and never had a problem. Oil might work with the ball hone which I have never used but it don't work well with the stone.

You look on the internet and you will find different opinions and 15 different things to use. You are just breaking the glaze I make sure the cylinder is super clean when finished. Hope this helps.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 02:57 PM   #7
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Use what you have with plenty of lubricant.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO