lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2021, 11:15 PM   #1
Leemer1
Not Yet Wild

Default 1987 Yamaha G2 rebuild

New to Buggies gone wild as a member but lurked for info as a non member. My parents picked up a really rough G2. Didnt run but everything was there and complete minus half the upholstery and headrest foam. Intentions for cart was something my mom could bomb around on their property with to aid in her yard work. I`ve done 90% of the resto/mechanical/electrical work and my step dad did the paint. Its been completely wired to be "street legal" even though where I am there are no laws allowing golf carts for street use yet. I built 5 bolt adapters for 5x4.5" pattern wheels. Redid all the upholstery with new foam and vinyl and then cloth seat covers. The basket in the rear is a fiberglass 30 pound propane tank cover from an old 5th wheel RV just flipped down to make a cargo box and is secured to a frame welded to the carts main rear frame. LED rear tail/signal lights, pod signal lights on the front bumper. Front and rear bumpers I made.New wheels and tires. My step dad did the body paint work. Its about 98% complete as all it needs now are the checker plate aluminum rocker panels installed, hook up the "ooogah" horn and new suspension components and king pin and bushings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210704_181200[1].jpg (204.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210704_181150[1].jpg (210.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210802_123009[1].jpg (194.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210905_151544[1].jpg (217.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210905_163403[1].jpg (212.0 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Leemer1; 09-08-2021 at 11:20 PM.. Reason: add more
Leemer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2021, 05:47 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: 1987 Yamaha G2 rebuild

Nice job! Where there's a need, there's a solution. I'm sure that rig will get the job done just fine. No job is complete without the "oogah" horn Well done and welcome to the madness!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:55 AM   #3
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Nice job! Where there's a need, there's a solution. I'm sure that rig will get the job done just fine. No job is complete without the "oogah" horn Well done and welcome to the madness!
X2!!!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:24 PM   #4
Leemer1
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the welcome all. I do have one annoying electrical gremlin though of no spark sometimes not all the time on first start up. Its a hit or miss scenario with this. I know the tci box has no test procedure other than try a known working one which I have no access to one and new ones are obsolete. Coil tests fine. Tested the pulsar coil and its showing zero resistance when there should be 500 to 600 ohms. Which is odd because the ignition system still fires. So maybe even with no resistance the pulsar is still producing enough currant to satisfy the ignitor???Its my theory...Also discovered the tci is voltage sensitive. if the battery is below 12 volts the ignition system will not fire. Top the battery up and engine starts fine. Also when this no spark issue happens I found just letting the engine crank for a couple minutes the ignition system catches and engine starts. I seen other posts of no spark no start issues but their symptoms seem different than mine. Unrelated I have the throttle switch bypassed on mine and a toggle switch instead as I want the engine to idle.
Old 12-19-2021, 11:35 PM   #5
Leemer1
Not Yet Wild

Well I had two problems at the same time. The pulsar coil was bad as well the tci. Replaced the pulsar coil first and still no spark, verified no ohm reading=bad pulsar...yet in warm to hot weather its fine. Must been a cooler fall weather issue. Anyway new coil, no spark. Bought cheap-o tci box for a G9 and made jumper wires from the G9 plug to G2 body harness. Engine fired up no problems and not a problem since. I`ve read on here those Amazon cheap-o jobber tci boxes dont last long. For as little as this cart is used around the property it`ll last a while. And a 29 bucks a pop i`ll buy a couple to keep on hand. I cant justify 400 canadian for an OEM Yamaha G2 box.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha