lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
electrak
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs down connecting EZGO powerwise qe charger to 36v electric tractor

I have restored a 1973 GE Electrak electric tractor. It uses (6) 6v golf cart batteries. I have removed the old relay and resistor control system and installed an Alltrax controller and am enjoying its quiet quick performance.

I recently purchased a new EZGO Powerwise QE electronic charger (model 915-3610) and am trying to get it connected to charge the tractor. The charger has the new style EZGO plug. It has 2 large brass pin terminals and one internal spring-loaded small terminal. When plugged in to 120vac and turned on, there is no voltage present on the two large terminals. I then applied 36v to the main terminals (+to white wire;-to black wire) to simulate a battery pack load and there is a flashing code on the charger LED but I don't have a charger manual to diagnose the code. I am assuming it is looking for some sort of signal or switch closure on the small internal terminal before actually turning on the charger. The charger is a nice looking new, light, electronic version manufactured by Delta-Q. I have opened up the plug and the two large terminals are connected to black and white wires and the third smaller terminal is on a green wire.

Is there some way I can 'fool' the charger into working with my simple battery pack. All advice is appreciated.

Last edited by electrak; 08-26-2009 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: more data
electrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2009, 11:04 PM   #2
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: connecting EZGO powerwise qe charger to 36v electric tractor

All new EZGO chargers come with a manual in the box! You may want to contact your seller for it? What "blink code" are you getting? I can look tomorrow when I get to the shop to see what the charger is saying...
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:54 PM   #3
electrak
Not Yet Wild

I purchased the charger on ebay and it didn't come with a manual. I called the manufacturer (delta-q) to get a manual but they are shut down this week.

If I remember correctly the blink code was alternating red and green.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
MPH
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

eletrck, who was the seller on eBay? I just bought one from a seller on eBay who had two. My extention cord that plugs in to the pig tail was no good. I should have it all hooked up tonight and will see if mine works. I'll check out my sellers name and check back later to see if we delt with the same guy.

I called Delta-Q also... something about a summer shut down?
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:10 PM   #5
electrak
Not Yet Wild

Post Re: connecting EZGO powerwise qe charger to 36v electric tractor

Seller was CargoLargo and price was $120. Item is brand new with both cables still tie-wrapped to the unit. My research so far is that the hidden auxiliary contact needs some sort of signal to start up the charger. I called E-Z-GO and they say that particular charger is not supported by them.

If anyone has a schematic of the cart side of the electrical system I may be able to figure out what to do. I am an EE by training.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
MPH
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Do you have the installation instructions? They have a small partial schematic and other information in it. PM me an email address and I will send it to you.

Mike
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:49 AM   #7
electrak
Not Yet Wild

Well, I found the answer. The small green wire, aux. contact is simply connected to the black (minus) wire to wake up the charger. I had tried it briefly to test but disconnected because it was flashing green/red alternately which was not one of the blink codes described in the manual. I tried again and left it on longer. It flashed green/red again for about 4 seconds and then went into charge mode with the green flashing alone signifying normal charging. The green/red may be a feature like all the idiot lights coming on in your car when first turned on to test for burned out bulbs. I hope this might help someone else buying this charger.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
MightBeRight
Not Yet Wild

Yep - you are correct. The alternating green/red is just a boot sequence. It should, in less than 3 secs start charging - indicated by a flashing green.
MightBeRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
sidefx
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightBeRight View Post
Yep - you are correct. The alternating green/red is just a boot sequence. It should, in less than 3 secs start charging - indicated by a flashing green.
I have the exact same blinking pattern when plugged in except at the end of the alternating green/red sequence, the green light stays on for a second then turns off and never comes back on. No flash no nothing. Just off.
Any ideas?
sidefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
MightBeRight
Not Yet Wild

Hi sidefx - you, unfortunately have a kaput charger. This is the light pattern you get if you plug a QE into the wall without AC connected. Therefore, make sure the AC is good and the cord is not broken first, but most lilely your charger has said goodbye. If you look here - http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...hematic-2.html you will see some repair instructions for the most common failure problem I have found. Follow the warnings carefully and find a friend to do it if you have no experience. I also see repair service on FleaBay for $90 - though I hvae no experience with that. Good luck!
MightBeRight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, delta-q, wiring diagram
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO