lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-14-2010, 10:45 PM   #21
Hillbilly Deluxe
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: would like to start a battery comparison

Roger that.
Hillbilly Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-14-2010, 11:14 PM   #22
dplin2001
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly Deluxe View Post
I am interested as well. It was recommed to me (by a local golf cart shop, selling lifted golf carts) "Sams has the best price on batteries" I hadn't read a single forum and at that time, figured a battery was a battery. After buying and telling anyone, I am treated like a retard. I have moved past the feeling that I made a pizz pour descision and am dead set on taking good care of the batteries and seeing how they do. I think anything can either perform better or worse with proper maintanance (or lack there of). Anyway, I am commited to them at this point, so let's see what they've got. I am going to take care of them, but won't baby them. The cart is lifted for my hunting lease and will be used for that. It is a tool and a toy!
I have Sam's Club batteries, I bought them just under 4 years ago for about $50 each. They lasted almost 4 years and I really screwed them up. I had one of those battery doctor guys treat them when they were new. He said he put stuff in them that would reduce water loss in the battery. So I didn't check them often enough and let them run dry. Ever since then it's been downhill for them. So if I got 4 years with very, very poor care, you should do well with proper care. I'm going to put in some T-105's in the next week or so. They cost $15 more per batt than Sam's Club and $10 more than the Interstate (US Batt), But I think it's worth it. I've learned the hard way to take care of your batteries, I'm glad I found this forum before screwing up another set.
dplin2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #23
Hillbilly Deluxe
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I take really good care of my stuff. (Have too many toys: waverunners, boat, golfcart etc.) and go over and above on maintenance... I will buy better batteries next time I'm sure but am interested in what I can get out of these in the meantime.
Hillbilly Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:50 AM   #24
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If DOC can get 8 yrs out of a set then everybody should be able to 4 or 5 yrs of useful life from a set?
I have seen dead sets that are only 1.5-2 yrs old. Most of them were run dry. Or let to sit in a state of discharge...
The 2 most important factors in useful battery life are proper use (draw down voltage & immediate recharge) and maintenance (h2o levels & clean connections of good quality cable)
Most people clean the cable ends but never realize the finite life of a cable due to the natural corrosion which occurs INSIDE the cable.... If you look at an old cable you will sometimes see they are swollen cut an end off of one of these swollen cables and you will see what I mean.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #25
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

Monthly maintenance check, no differences in the bat readings they are the same as originally posted, I did notice that batt's 3 and 4 were both low on water almost down to the plates all others were fine. Added water where needed and plugged her in. Even though the readings haven't changed the cart seems like it is a little bit sluggish compared to what it was last month. We have had some unseasonably cold weather so that may be the culprit.
Frizbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #26
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Extreme cold or heat will tax a battery
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:27 PM   #27
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

Today was a good day to take some readings on the batts, wife used the cart to play golf this morning and I jumped in it and went to play as soon as she got home. The cart path on the course is 3.9 miles long add in a little for running back and forth to get to the ball say the course mileage is 4 miles it is 2 miles from my house to the course so total run mileage for 2 rounds of golf would be roughly 18 miles. ( May be a lot more wife is just learning, so there may have been a lot more ball chasing mileage lol) but for reading purpose I will say 18 miles give or take a little. All batteries read 8.1 to 8.3, pack voltage was 49.3. I am very happy with the energizers so far they seem to be holding up nicely.
Frizbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:50 AM   #28
AMDnutt
Not Yet Wild

Frizbgolf - I am getting ready to install a fresh set of Intersate Workaholics in my CC shortly. Do you want me to post info here to add to your comparison? I can post info on voltage, charge time, mileage, etc. but it is still chilly here so the season won't really get into swing for about 2-3 weeks.
AMDnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:23 PM   #29
Doc
Gone Wild

I've got to say that most people in general don't take care of their batteries. There isn't much room for forgiveness with batteries, either. Unless you can be sure of how they were maintained before you got the cart, chances are that you won't get 8 years like I am. Remember, I bought these batts new and no one but me has done anything to them.
This is for anyone buying new batts:
Use only distilled water-keep some on hand at all times-its cheap, something like .47 a gallon at Wally World.
Plug in the charger after EVERY run-no exceptions. This isn't hard to do and will keep your batts fresh.
Don't run accessories of your 8V batts-instead, go buy a cheapie 12V tractor batt. and run them off of that.
Keep them clean-this means the connections, good & tight, and the actual cases themselves. The latter won't improve their longevity, but it just makes things nicer to look at!
If possible, use 4GA fine stranded everywhere where you have cable. This isn't just the batt. connections, but the f/r switch, controller, etc. You're throwing away your money if you just use them on the batts alone.
1 last thing-if at all possible, use copper star washers and nuts on the actual batt connections. They may be difficult to find, but its worth it.
Hope this helps!
Doc
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #30
dplin2001
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I've got to say that most people in general don't take care of their batteries. There isn't much room for forgiveness with batteries, either. Unless you can be sure of how they were maintained before you got the cart, chances are that you won't get 8 years like I am. Remember, I bought these batts new and no one but me has done anything to them.
This is for anyone buying new batts:
Use only distilled water-keep some on hand at all times-its cheap, something like .47 a gallon at Wally World.
Plug in the charger after EVERY run-no exceptions. This isn't hard to do and will keep your batts fresh.
Don't run accessories of your 8V batts-instead, go buy a cheapie 12V tractor batt. and run them off of that.
Keep them clean-this means the connections, good & tight, and the actual cases themselves. The latter won't improve their longevity, but it just makes things nicer to look at!
If possible, use 4GA fine stranded everywhere where you have cable. This isn't just the batt. connections, but the f/r switch, controller, etc. You're throwing away your money if you just use them on the batts alone.
1 last thing-if at all possible, use copper star washers and nuts on the actual batt connections. They may be difficult to find, but its worth it.
Hope this helps!
Doc
How often do you change your 4GA cables? and do you have a source for the copper washers and nuts? I'm getting some brand new T-105's this week and want to do everything right.
dplin2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car