lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2010, 06:28 AM   #1
bioevolve
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Body touching tire. Suspension worn?

'03 Club Car DS with stock suspension.
I put on some new wheels and tires 12x7 - 205/30/12.
When I sit on either side of the cart on the back seat, the fender touch the tires. I weight 190lbs, if 4 adults get in the cart body it will sit on boths tires pretty hard. I haven't driven it because of that.
Do you think it's the leaf springs are worn out? I don't want to put a lift kit on it. Can't I just move the leaf spring on top of the axle? Can that be done without buying any extra parts or do I need a leaf spring mounting plate to go on top of the axle? Or even add bump stops on top of the axle, i think that would be uncomfortable lol. TIA!
bioevolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2010, 07:31 AM   #2
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Default Re: Body touching tire. Suspension worn?

After looking at the pics of your cart in your other thread... Some one installed a rear seat without installing the H.D. rear springs.. The stock single leaf springs were never designed to handle the weight of a rear seat or passengers..
The ride quality of the HD springs can be improved by removing the second leaf from the bottom before installation.. I did this to the HD springs on my '96 DS, it has plenty of weight carrying capacity and a smooth ride..

Here's a couple of pics of the HD leaves on my cart...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1126.jpg (88.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1125.jpg (97.0 KB, 34 views)
CC-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:51 AM   #3
bioevolve
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks! Going to source some HD Leafs!
Old 05-24-2010, 09:59 AM   #4
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Check with our sponsors
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
bioevolve
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Just put in the 3 leaf springs in, holy hell, stiffer than a surf board hahaha.
I still might take it back off and remove a leaf for comfort. Just gotta test it with 4 adults on it and see how it is.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:11 AM   #6
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

I can put a boat on mine will barley drop, so you may be ok, if you remove one leaf.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:38 PM   #7
bioevolve
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

After putting the rear leafs in, now the passenger front is rubbing lol. It's tilted to one side, is the front leaf or shock doing that?
I put in three 1/8" aluminum shims on top on the front leaf for now till I find out.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #8
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

The front leaf is probably sagged from age.. I took one of the leaves that I removed from the H.D. rear springs, and drilled the center hole slightly larger for the eccentric bolt in the front spring, and added a leaf to the front.. It firmed up the front nicely.. Not bone-jarring, just gave a nice stable feel.. Also got about a 1 1/2" lift out of it.. If you decide to do this, paint a coat of anti-seize lubricant between the leaves.. This reduces friction for a smoother ride.. You will also have to use a couple of C-clamps to compress the springs together enough to reinstall the eccentric bolt in the center..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1100.jpg (83.9 KB, 14 views)
CC-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:42 PM   #9
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Are you sure that its low on passenger side, or is it just rubbing on turns? Check and see where left wheel is rubbing as some cart frames are not welded the same or may have a part sticking out more on one side? I have had to grind back some extra material to get clearance needed. Normally its the drives side of spring that is low which is common with Club Car single leaf that with age or heavy usage. Most often the driver is sole person in cart and this causes the tilt to driver side? If you are only rubbing in turns on left side you mught have the rack and pinion steering off center. Sit cart on flat ground and then turn wheel all the way one directing and then the other way counting to learn total turns. Then turn back one half of the total turns and see if you are aimed straight ahead.
If that checks out ok I would do a measurment from front right tire to rear left and the same the other direction so you can check cart for square. If this isnt problem you may have to replace spring with new HD unit, it wont be nearly as stiff as rears as its still only a single leaf just thicker than stock.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:48 PM   #10
bioevolve
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks, I will try to use one of the old rear leafs. Cut and drill.

It's tilted down. 2 fingers between fender and driver's side tire, not even 1 finger on between the fender and tire on the passenger side. This is without anyone in the cart. I just keep finding more and more things to replace lol.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car