lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-24-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Marathon Carb sizing

Anyone know what the carb bore is on Marathon 2pg motors?Haven't pulled mine yet,but want to start parts shoppin so i need a starting point.More fuel/air first on list,lookin into porting/pipe setup next.I'm gonna see just how far one of these can be pushed.I know,everyones gonna say Big-Block It!,But i want something different,We've already got 2 with Briggs in em,Want to see if i can embarrass them!Any input would be great,I can build the snot out of a 4-cycle but not real familiar with 2-stroke mods as far as porting,squish-area,etc..
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
outlaw911
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Marathon Carb sizing

best then to do is get a good tuned pipe and if you can mod a dirt bike reed cage and then just put a big azz carb to make more power with a two cycle you just dump more fuel through them the tuned pipe will make the biggest difference other then that open the ports and raise the compression the best people to ask is the open two cycle cart racers or dirt bike racers having my old cart racing engine builder mess with the one in my harley i will post updates when we get it done not going to crazy with it i can tell you a yamaha kt100 kart engine with stock pipe (which is just a can with 6 holes in it) makes about 9 or 10 hp and with tuned pipe its closer to 22hp
outlaw911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

yamaha super can about 11hp, with a pipe 17. anything more than that and someone is fudging their dyno numbers 12 years in kart racing
rokcrlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:37 PM   #4
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

I believe it's 18mm. I just swapped my 89 carb out for a 32mm Mikuni VM series. It's not even the same engine anymore. Tons more power. After doing the secondary clutch mod, it is right where I want it. A Briggs will have more power out of the hole, but they max out around 3600rpm. No way they will keep up with an oil-burner. I'm just down the road from you in Naples. I bought my cart in Brockport.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:30 AM   #5
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I knew about the pipes,just tryin to get ideas on what may work,I raced Karts in the 80's but we ran 5hp Briggs motors turnin about 15-20hp on alchohol.We could turn 7200rpm out of em and this was before custom parts were availiable,Most of the internals were factory.Anyone got a part number for reeds that will work?I know the motor has the potential,just gotta uncover it.Hey 89 Marathon,did you try the driven and drive clutch mods i suggested?We'll have to get together sometime and trail-ride.My cart has a stock motor and drivetrain except for clutch-mods and its nuts.Thanks for the input guys,keep the ideas comin.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Hey pachanga90,
I did the mod to the driven clutch. I can't believe the difference. You won't believe how this motor wakes up after putting a larger carb on it.
My last cart was a G1 Yamaha. I installed a big Mikuki on that. Tons more power, and over 40mph.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #7
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Hey 89,Try shimming the drive-clutch.Huge difference with stock belt,haven't tried short belt yet.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:59 PM   #8
outlaw911
Not Yet Wild

can you tell me the mods to the clutches and how to do them want to rebuild mine might as well do it while i have it apart thanks
outlaw911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

On the Drive-Clutch,you can't rebuild,only replace.But to Mod.it,remove the 3 cover-screws and the center-bolt(can be done in cart).Add 3/16"-1/4" shim under spring against the spider.This is very noticable with 22" tires.On the Driven-Clutch,Disassemble the clutch,remove the shim between the sheaves and add 3/16" to 1/4" shim behind the spring.This will give a lower first gear by allowing the sheaves to close more and later shift to hi by increasing spring-tension.I have not yet tried the short belt with this combo,but my cart goes like hell and pulls real strong with just these mods.Hope this helps
Old 11-25-2010, 07:21 PM   #10
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

This is the mod I did to my secondary(driven) clutch. What a difference.
Secondary Clutch Mod
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO