lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #11
littlecarguy
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1990 EZGO Marathon

If you want to stay with the original engine try a salvage yard like Parts 4 Carts. They claim to have many old obsolete parts and will sell any part off any old cart in thier yard. Look them up on the web.
littlecarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #12
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

That cart will be used for sure. It's going to be converted to a workhorse type machine so I'm not too worried about having an original engine. I'm much more concerned about being able to back the darn thing up. I have several engines I can use. My first choice would be the 8 hp electric start engine I've had for many years. Starts and runs like a Swiss watch. I also have a couple really good old 10 HP Kohlers, one with a gennie and one with a bendix starter. Also a 532 twin cylinder Kohler (the original 'big block').

Some snowmobiles can back up. I think they call it a reverse kit. No idea which ones have it or how well it works though.
army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #13
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Hmmm I think that 8hp may be just a little light for the cart especially if you are using it as a workhorse. The 2PG was 9hp and the 3PG 11hp. I think most guys will say the bigger the better
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #14
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm one of those 'bigger is better' guys too and it gets me in trouble with my better half $ometimes. I just got out of the doghouse for buying an old Vette in July so I'd like to use one of the engines I have on hand if I can.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #15
littlecarguy
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I had two 1997 Polaris classic snowmobiles with reverse. The driven clutch is attached to a shaft that goes into a chaincase. Inside the chaincase was reduction gears and an output shatft that turned the track. To go in reverse you had a lever that pulled a cable going into the chaincase. This shifted a gear that changed the direction of the output shat turning the track. The engine does not have to change directions like 2 cycle golf cart engines. If you could get your hands on an old sled with reverse I think you could make it work.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #16
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

How rugged do you guys think a tranny has to be for a golf cart/workhorse? This looks a tad light for the application I have in mind but something a little sturdier would work nicely.

http://www.bmikarts.com/shop/index.p...&cat=1&shop=1&
Old 12-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #17
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Lets start w horsepower, your cart originally came with a 3PG engine, which was conservatively rated at 11hp - while the stock motor definitely has some "get up and go" it wasn't designed for heavy pulling, etc (hence the large number of torque mods floating around, shorter belt, rebuilt clutches, etc) so IMHO putting an 8 or 10hp engine in there is definitely a step backwards.

As to the investment, if you're already looking at $250 for a trans, then of course a clutch, belt, mods, more mods, etc you're probably a lot better off locating a 3PG core with a good bottom and rebuilding it for $200 or so, then it's a drop-in, it will work with the existing setup, etc

Trust me, with my 88 the biggest expense was the money I threw away trying to "make this work" or "fit this instead of what WAS there" - not to say there aren't some neat project carts out there, but the cost of doing things the "right' way with these Marathons is pretty darn low $ to begin with, so why wouldn't you just do it right?
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:19 PM   #18
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Well, I didn't buy it to restore it so doing it right doesn't apply, at least not in that sense. My intention is to modify it and convert it to a handy yard truck with a dump box. I'm having fun rolling some ideas around. I'm not familiar with the site yet. Is there a better spot for a thread like this? A custom cart section or something?
Old 12-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #19
littlecarguy
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I think the gear box in your post is a little wimppy. If money is no problem take a look at roadstercycle. They have a forward/reverse gear box for custom built motorcycle engine powered vehicles. The cost is around $1600. But definatly beefy.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:38 PM   #20
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

A couple things to keep in mind.You could run a 8hp 4-stroke,it will definitely have more torque than the 2-strokes,but no reverse with stock rear.You could find an older Marathon donor-cart and swap out the whole swing-arm/engine/rear-axle assembly(2 pivot-bolts,2 shocks and some wiring and a fuel-line)This swap could have you up and running in a few hours,if you get a running cart.Finally,upgrade the rear-axle to a 4-stroke rear with reverse and install whatever you decide(small-block,big-block,etc..).Hope this helps
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO