lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #21
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 1996 Club Car questions

The PRE CHARGE RESISTER ( is normally a larger item ) is wired across the large cable terminals ( for identificationon ) on solenoid, while the DIODE is wired across small terminals on solenoid. The PRE CHARGE RESISTER will have power on both sides but one side is lesser amount. The DIODE will only have power when key is on and F&R control is in F or R direction.
With your cart operating correctly there is no need for checking solenoid or controller. What you need to check is if you have a short or grounding condition which would cause battery discharge. Do as JLMURPHY and GLEEMO said and unhook cabels and see if bubbling stops after a hour or more of time.
Question how did you arrive at "batterys tested fine" condition, did you check voltage on each battery and total pack voltage or did you do hydrometer test one each cell in each battery, or did you use load tester and test each battery for drop? The reason Im asking is you said in one previous post that the batterys "showed around 8.2 or 8.3 and across bank it was 49.6" ? The batterys fully charged should be 8.49 and at your readings are only about 70% charged and pack voltage should be 50.96 instead of 49.6 which is again about 70% of fully charged and this is the low end of operating range for batterys? I try to never allow my battery pack to get below 60%-70% at any time before recharging after each use.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #22
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Ok so what is happening now, originally it would not run, NOW it runs .
Originally the charger would not shut off ? does it shut off now ?
If its running 15 to 16 mph , this is normal for most carts !

read this http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-readings.html for battery charging and state of charge readings
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #23
Bite N Hold
Not Yet Wild

Charger still doesn't shut off
cart does run but seems to be really slow in reverse. Think I'm gonna have to take it in because I can't tell if its the obc controller or the solenoid.....
Bite N Hold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:15 PM   #24
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

The charger should shut off after 16 hours even if the batteries don't make it to 100%.

If it's not doing this , swap with a friend , try a different charger, but it sounds like a defective OBC .

PS and take the charger with U when U take the cart in !
Old 01-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #25
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

For your information reverse is 1/2 the power that you get in forward, but it works in porportion to battery power given so if forward is slow reverse will be that much less?
For your info you can wire around slow reverse if you really want to? Means one wire change or addition on a series cart.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #26
Bite N Hold
Not Yet Wild

Great info guys! If I move the fnr switch back and forth it goes faster. Also forward starts off real slow and then gets going faster......almost like delayed. Never did that before which makes me think the obc is going bad?
Old 01-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #27
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bite N Hold View Post
Great info guys! If I move the fnr switch back and forth it goes faster. Also forward starts off real slow and then gets going faster......almost like delayed. Never did that before which makes me think the obc is going bad?
The OBC definitely isn't causing this problem. If the solenoid clicks, the OBC isn't the problem. The only effect the OBC has on the actually running of the vehicle is to provide a ground for the solenoid. If the OBC was bad, you wouldn't be running at all. This sounds more like a Controller, Potentiometer, or Micro-switch linkage issue. This is a series car correct?
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:26 PM   #28
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I suspect bad contacts in the F&R or cable connections.... Lift the seat and feel around for HOT wires... before the fire
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #29
Bite N Hold
Not Yet Wild

Ok...to add a little more info...was typing from my ohone last night so it was a PITA....
Old Mec- I didn't get to use a hydrometer yet to test each cell. I didn't use a load tester because the one I have is only for 6 and 12 volt. I did use a voltmeter and tested the indiv batts and across the bank. This was after a week of not being on charge. I did "fully" charge the batts last night(meter on chgr showed 3 amps this am)however I won't be able to test them until tonight. The charger is not shutting off and I was told at the local cart store that the 48v chargers don't have a 16 hr timer. Is that not true?

Also the cart is a series and not a regen.
As far as the slowness issue....If it starts off slow, I can let off the gas pedal and then step on it again several times and then it wil speed up, almost like something isn't making good contact initially.
Thanks for all the help so far.....
Old 01-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #30
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

the shutoff for the 48 Volt carts with OBC is controlled by the OBC, not a timing board inside the charger.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car