lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
rjwenter
Getting Wild

Default Forward / Reverse lever very hard to turn

Hi. I have a 2001 EZ-GO. The forward / reverse lever is very stiff. I had it out yesterday and it was very hard to get into reverse. About a week ago I had it out and when I switched it from reverse to forward it was still going in reverse...but after moving the lever back and forth a couple of times it went in forward again. Is there something I need to lubricate to loosen things up? Any suggestions on how I should approach this problem? Thanks a lot.
rjwenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
Wynelocked
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Forward / Reverse lever very hard to turn

There's a black cover with a 10mm bolt thru it.Take it off an spay the whole thing with wd40.It will free up the shift lever.
Wynelocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
rjwenter
Getting Wild

Thanks. This is my first cart and I don't know a darn thing about it. Is that cover right behind the F/R lever? Thanks.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
Wynelocked
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwenter View Post
Thanks. This is my first cart and I don't know a darn thing about it. Is that cover right behind the F/R lever? Thanks.

follow the rods under the seat.You will see where they go.I believe the the box is under the passenger side.There are some nylon rollers.They get dry an make them hard to shift.I usually spray the swivel an the rear of the shift lever as well.
Wynelocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
rjwenter
Getting Wild

Thanks for your help. I will give it a try and let you know how it goes
Old 03-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
lynnsmailbox1@gmail.com
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynelocked View Post
follow the rods under the seat.You will see where they go.I believe the the box is under the passenger side.There are some nylon rollers.They get dry an make them hard to shift.I usually spray the swivel an the rear of the shift lever as well.
Thanks Wynelocked, I tried the WD-40 on the F/R on my 1989 & 2004 EZ GO's that were both very hard to move. The WD-40 worked magic on both. Lynn
lynnsmailbox1@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:23 AM   #7
Redbirdman
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Just joined and learning the ropes here so please forgive me for resurrecting this post.
We bought a 2001 TXT to use as a 'neighborhood car' and also had the shifting problem. I found by repositioning the lever 90 degrees it became much eaiser to shift "up and down" rather than "right to left". Now, by we are lifting and pushing the lever rather than twisting it. Also, WD 40 is a great product. However, the WD stands for "water dispersant" and was originally designed ( after 39 tries) to prevent rusting, not so much lubricating. In the aviation field WD is good as a start, but lubrication is preferred with silicone since it does not let dust and grime build up as much. So, thats my contribution for now.
But one question re the lever. I can not find the so-called "detent" for neutral on the 2001 quadrant. I realize repositioning the lever has nothing to do with the actual shifting mechanism , so Am I missing something? I would like to be able to put the car in neutral for a minute while the engine warms up.
Thanks people, and thanks for a great site.
Redbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:31 AM   #8
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm not positive what year the changed, but your 2001 should have the neutral lock out on the back side of the shifter. There will be a small arm with a spring on it's pivot. Pull out on the arm to bring it out of the hole it parks in, and swing it around to one side. Then as you move the shifter between fwd & rvs it will lock it into neutral. Newer versions have a similar system located at the transaxle end of the cables.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:53 AM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

My 2001 TXT did not have a detent for neutral. You just had to put it at 12 o'clock and it worked. Same applies to my 07 workhorse, no detent for neutral.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:15 PM   #10
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
My 2001 TXT did not have a detent for neutral. You just had to put it at 12 o'clock and it worked. Same applies to my 07 workhorse, no detent for neutral.
Not a detent, but a separate locking pin that keeps it in neutral for servicing. The 01 will be on the back of the shifter, the 07 at the transaxle end. Look closely and you'll find them. I've known owners who've had their cart for a decade or more and never knew it was there.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO