lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #11
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 24-48 to 12 Volt Converter

Still scratching my head Steve
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2011, 03:52 PM   #12
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

I've read about the same problem in another thread. I'm not going to hook my converter up to the factory wiring harness. I'm going to wire it to a fuse block and power my aux devices from there.
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #13
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down South View Post
I've read about the same problem in another thread. I'm not going to hook my converter up to the factory wiring harness. I'm going to wire it to a fuse block and power my aux devices from there.
Either way you will have to run a bunch of wire. I have it all working, just can't use the oem wires to power my dash mounted meter.

You should look into installing 2 fuse blocks like I did. One in the divider and one in the dash.
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #14
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec3201 View Post
just can't use the oem wires to power my dash mounted meter.
Have you tried hooking the positive side of your dash mounted meter to the "cold" side of your key switch to see if meter powers up properly when key is in "on" mode?
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #15
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
Have you tried hooking the positive side of your dash mounted meter to the "cold" side of your key switch to see if meter powers up properly when key is in "on" mode?
I don't think it matters. Once you install a converter, it converts every thing in the factory wiring harness to 12V and I can understand why. Where you were once getting 48V from the battery pack before the converter then hooking up to a converter will only give you 12V.
I plan to leave my dash mounted meter hooked up to the factory wiring harness. Then I will hook up the converter to power all other auxiliary devices independent of the factory wiring harness including the light kit.
Yes, I will have to run a bunch of wires to run but that is no problem for me plus I have the wire laying around in my shop.

Quote:
You should look into installing 2 fuse blocks like I did. One in the divider and one in the dash.
I may do that. I haven't sat down and figured out just how I will run everything just yet. I will fuse the converter for sure, in line probably. I have a inline fuse already. Then a hot and ground to a fuse block that I haven't decided where to install just yet. From there I will wire up a cigarette lighter receptacle, stereo system and will hook my light kit into it.
The converter will be completely independent of the factory wiring harness.
It will be a nice weekend project that will require at least a 12-pack of adult liquid refreshments.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #16
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I don't think it matters. Once you install a converter, it converts every thing in the factory wiring harness to 12V and I can understand why. Where you were once getting 48V from the battery pack before the converter then hooking up to a converter will only give you 12V.
I plan to leave my dash mounted meter hooked up to the factory wiring harness. Then I will hook up the converter to power all other auxiliary devices independent of the factory wiring harness including the light kit.
Yes, I will have to run a bunch of wires to run but that is no problem for me plus I have the wire laying around in my shop.

I may do that. I haven't sat down and figured out just how I will run everything just yet. I will fuse the converter for sure, in line probably. I have a inline fuse already. Then a hot and ground to a fuse block that I haven't decided where to install just yet. From there I will wire up a cigarette lighter receptacle, stereo system and will hook my light kit into it.
The converter will be completely independent of the factory wiring harness.
It will be a nice weekend project that will require at least a 12-pack of adult liquid refreshments.
This is where the "scratch your head comes into play". Hooking the 12v output of the converter to the blue pigtail changes someone to an already 12v source. It has to be something with the ground that changes within the factory harness by hooking it up this way.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:39 AM   #17
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Quote:
It's the same thing minus the key switch resistance.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:42 AM   #18
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Once you install a converter, it converts every thing in the factory wiring harness to 12V and I can understand why.
Hmmm . . . based on that statement, your Precedent is able to run on 12v? Wish I had access to a Precedent . . . would be a fun winter challenge to figure out this anomaly . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:47 AM   #19
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
This is where the "scratch your head comes into play". Hooking the 12v output of the converter to the blue pigtail changes someone to an already 12v source. It has to be something with the ground that changes within the factory harness by hooking it up this way.
I think the solution lies with whatever the tow/run switch does. It may even have something to do with the controller, just not smart enough to figure it out yet. Too bad the CC engineers aren't here to comment.

I do like downsouth's solution, just curious to see if he encounters any issues with the light kit being separated from the bucket harrness.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:54 AM   #20
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Quote:
Hmmm . . . based on that statement, your Precedent is able to run on 12v? Wish I had access to a Precedent . . . would be a fun winter challenge to figure out this anomaly . . .
Not the motor, just the wiring harness going to the dash.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car