lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Just need a few questions answered......

Well I am going to have to upgrade my electrical system because of my lift and tires.

Well I want to take on the task of making my own cables on this one since it is just my ranch cart. I am going to do crimp and solder. Here are my questions:

Will regular no clean core solder work (Sn63/Pb37) and soldering paste flux?( I am not sure what the difference between this and silver solder is)

Next I am going to pick up 30 battery lugs that way I have a few extra for mistakes. what size is the ring terminal supposed to be? 5/16 or 3/8

Also, will 25ft of cable be enough to do my entire cart and still have some left over?

That's all for now.
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Just need a few questions answered......

Use silver solder . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Well screw this. I started did all the battery cables and one f&r cable. Just crimp. Pain in my Frickig arse. I got so freaking frustrated I just took it out and went mudding. I dropped a lot of coin on cable, lugs and silver solder which let me tell you is hard to work with. So I am just gonna buy a set from Scotty and be done with it before I hang myself.

Rant over. Will start a thread of today's adventures with pics and videos.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltf1991 View Post
Well screw this. I started did all the battery cables and one f&r cable. Just crimp. Pain in my Frickig arse. I got so freaking frustrated I just took it out and went mudding. I dropped a lot of coin on cable, lugs and silver solder which let me tell you is hard to work with. So I am just gonna buy a set from Scotty and be done with it before I hang myself.

Rant over. Will start a thread of today's adventures with pics and videos.
scottys cables are worth every penny.............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #5
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yea I know. I always talk them up and have them on my ezgo but thought I would try something different.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

I have the expertise to do this type of work and can do a professional job but when I get ready to upgrade "Soon" I'll just buy a set of cables from Scotty. Sometimes it's just easier/economical to purchase the parts.
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:28 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Give me a call ~ I'll set you up.
Don't want to read about somebody hung with welding cable
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
SEHunter
Gone Wild

iirc, all are 5/16" hole on the batteries, motor, controller and solenoid (with the ecxeption of certain HD solenoids that use 3/8"). the fnr switch is 1/4" on the two front side connections and 3/16" on the two rear connections. 1/4" will work for all 4 connections on the fnr switch. If you use #2 cable, they dont make a 3/16" hole for that size anyway. Atleast i couldnt find them anyway. It takes time but the safe way is to remove one at a time and make the new one and re-install it. I dont think its necessary to solder. A good crimp will do the trick. Its worked good for me.
SEHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:54 PM   #9
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Well soldering is necessary, but we will not get into that in my thread seeing as there are a million threads about crimp vs solder. I like both. I am an over achiever. Scotty, you know I will be calling you. Ill probably give you a hollar on Thursday. My next day off.

I will strangle myself with welding cable if i have to make one more damm %$^%*^*&^ cable.

Or you can call me either way.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #10
SEHunter
Gone Wild

a good crimp doesent fail. a good solder can. 10 yrs in the industrial battery industry (fork lift) and crimping is the standard. This is amperage that a golf cart battery cant concieve of. But either done incorrectly will fail. Im like you though, i do alot of things for peace of mind, even if others disagree.
SEHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car