lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
cdpinb
Not Yet Wild

Cool G16 fuse, charging issues

G16 Gas golf cart, not charging, replaced the voltage requlator before realizing the fuse on the negative side was blown, replaced fuse as soon as you touch accelerator it blows, golf cart is running fine withot this fuse but is not charging, i followed wiring diagram and checked all components for possible shorts or wiring issues and could not locate, checked starter and i had recently replaced brushes due to not starting, brushes were shot, checked brushes, field and starting circuit and appears to be okay, 5ohms on starting circuit and nothing to ground anywhere, have not checked armature but cant see where that could cause this problem, I am stumped, i did remove the negative cable from the starter and replaced the fuse and hit the accelerator and the soleniod clicked engaged like it was supposed to but as soon as you connect the negative cable and hit the accelerator fuse blows but golf cart runs fine just wont charge. HELP, GOING NUTS
cdpinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 fuse, charging issues

After looking at the G16 wiring diagram, your cart should not run at all with a blown 10 A fuse. Not sure exactly what is wrong, but it seems that somehow your chassis ground is connected directly (not thru the fuse) to the battery negative. (If you look closely at the diagram you can see that the chassis ground is connected to battery negative through that 10 A fuse.) Did this happen right after working on your starter/generator?? With that 10 A. fuse blown, your solenoid should not be able to energize. The fact that you say the cart runs fine with a blown fuse tells me that the solenoid coil has a path to battery negative other than through the fuse. I would check to make sure that you have reconnected the starter generator correctly. Also, possibly, the starter generator A1 terminal or the brush at A1 may be internally grounded to the starter/generator frame. Post results of further checks - RAY

PS - Sometimes accessories connected between battery plus and chassis ground will cause fuse blowing, but I don't think that is happening here.
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
cdpinb
Not Yet Wild

Cool Re: G16 fuse, charging issues

Thanks, Bigstik I have been under the same impression on the ground, and it all leads to the starter but with the starter off it all rings out okay, i have double checked terminations and they are correct, I discovered that if you disconnect the charging circuit the fuse still blows and the cart runs but runs poorly as soon as you plug the charging circuit back up it runs fine, i believe the charging circuit is shorted to the field windings but somehow i am not picking this up on my meter, i think i am going to take the starter/generator to a buddy of mine that rebuits starters and alternators and see if we can determine a problem
cdpinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

That is probably a good place to start!! While he's checking it, and if it turns out to be ok, have him turn the commutator and undercut the mica. That will make a better brush job for you . Good luck - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:09 PM   #5
dlees
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

hello I am having the same issue and it is driving me insane, Cart runs like crap without the fuse and when I put a fuse in it pops immediately, so I jumped the fuse and the cart runs perfect but wires get hot so I quit doing that, I really cannot figure this thing out and I'm really bad with wiring please help
dlees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:59 PM   #6
kantuckian
Gone Wild

Need Help my g22 is doing the same thing cart runs without the fuse annd cart is not charging,
kantuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha