lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
JohnFl
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 reed block (cage). Any bikes have same?

Got me a G1 the other day. It was not running but looks like only a fuel problem cause it starts/runs fine with a squirt o Berrymans in the carb... It had a new carb manifold with it (in the storage compartment) so I goes to replace what was on there with the new one. They had a motorcycle manifold cleverly attached to the engine and it seemed to work but I had a new manifold and it's a new toy (to me) so I figured I'd replace it with the new one.
Anyway, they had the reed block from the motorcycle on it too and it's physically a little too small to seal comfortably to the new G1 manifold. I see new reed blocks are about $130+ tax, shipping and "because I can" fees online. There is a HUGE motorcycle wrecking yard here in Phoenix so I'm headed over there to see what I can find.

Anyone know what other reed cage will match up to the G1?

TIA

JohnF
JohnFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 reed block (cage). Any bikes have same?

I don't think anything is a direct replacement. This engine is derived from the Enticer 250 snowmobile engine which did not have reeds. I think Yamaha did a "one off" on those reeds.

You might try posting in the "parts" section and ask if anyone has a used setup laying around, you're bound to have good luck, there's a million of these out there....
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I once worked on an old yz125 that had similar looking reeds, but not knowing if they were the same. It might have been a late 70s yz one of the first monoshock models.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
nwarren9
Gone Wild

Yamaha

John
can you post pitchers ? I would relay like to see what you got.
My stock G1 has reeds an I have replaced them about 2 years back cost less than $50.00 for reeds.
I due not think the stock cart will require the hole manifold replaced just for reeds.

Last edited by nwarren9; 11-15-2012 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: sp
nwarren9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Its usually the rubber boot that cracks before anything else.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
nwarren9
Gone Wild

Yamaha

John
If your reeds are bad on a stock cart all you need is two separate reeds. See the sight below that has a pitcher of the reeds.

http://www.lvssales.com/store/home.php?cat=303

You can also run a search for 'Yamaha G1 reed" but watch the years listed for each part, Some years have slight different parts such ad brakes.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
nwarren9
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Is this what you are asking about ?

http://www.lvssales.com/store/produc...cat=139&page=1

is it possible when you read the parts list like #1 is the hole block and you may not need a assembly like that just the parts

http://www.tntgolfcar.com/yamaha-par...4q9j38l1cdgnd7

Last edited by nwarren9; 11-15-2012 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: sp
Old 11-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
JohnFl
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwarren9 View Post
Is this what you are asking about ?

http://www.lvssales.com/store/produc...cat=139&page=1

is it possible when you read the parts list like #1 is the hole block and you may not need a assembly like that just the parts

http://www.tntgolfcar.com/yamaha-par...4q9j38l1cdgnd7

Those are the reed petals and the manifold for the carb. What was in there was a reed cage and manifold off a small 2 stroke dirt bike or small 2 cyl 2stroke of some sort. The bolt pattern was WAY small and they had made little clamp brackets to hold the smaller cage and manifold to the head. As I said, it was adapted pretty clever for a Mickey Mouse rig but I was concerned about potential vacuum leaks over time so wanted to put the original cage back in since there was a new stock manifold that came with the cart when I bought it.
Anyway, I found a reed cage at the bike yard that matches up perfect but I had to clean up the casting inside the intake of the cylinder so the cage would line up with the bolt holes. The casting in the intake is pretty gnarly where the sand collapsed a bit during the casting process. If the sand had held then this reed cage would have fit fine. The guy said this cage looked like 1 off a Banshee or something. Got it installed tonight and had the cart running but it looks like I still have a fuel delivery problem to sort out.

JohnF
Phoenix.
JohnFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
ride2tires
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Without knowing to dimensions.... Hard to say for sure- tho Yamaha DT's and '73 newer CT's ran a similar looking reed setup.
ride2tires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
makobuggie
Gone Wild

81 g1, were can i buy a rubber carb joint for a 81 g1,the only one i found is with a booster bottle hookup on it,the year i have dont have it, thanks
makobuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha