lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
MrNeon
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default G16 Shocks-Front end

Got a Jakes 6" A-arm lift this year and been running the cart everywhere. I just put on a snow plow and when I had the plow raised I swore the front tires looked like they were bowed in. I lowered the plow on the ground and the tires still looked bowed in. I thought maybe the weight of the plow was causing it. Not so.

I checked the suspension and all the fittings for anything lose of bent and everything was fine. I guess I wonder if maybe the front shocks are worn? Is there any other replaces that can be used for the G16 front other than stock Yamaha shocks? Maybe a bit more heavy duty than stock?
MrNeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 Shocks-Front end

Your shocks are likely worn out. These shocks don't really have good rebound anyway, so with the weight of the plow the front end gets compressed far beyond what normal driving does.

I had the exact same problem. I tried new golf cart shocks, swapping the rears to the front, and I tried 3 different types of atv shocks. All had the same result. After I used the plow, the front end just stayed compressed.

After much studying I discovered that the single a arm setup is the true cause. When the front end is compressed fully, the tires scrub outwards, meaning the tires spread out away from each other and the tire literally grabs the ground and does not allow the tires to "scrub" back to the upright position.

To test this, while the front end is compressed lift up on the front bumper (with a friend) and watch the front tires slide sideways inward. That drag that the tires do to get themselves back to the inward position is the resistance that causes them to stay in the downward position. The shocks are not strong enough to push them back into place.

So it's not just an up and down problem, it's also a side to side problem.

The only solution I could live with was to install an atv double a arm long travel setup. Completely solves the problem.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha