lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2016, 06:29 PM   #1
pmangr
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default EZ GO 36v charging

Can someone point me to posts that answer this or run through this for me?

I have a 2007 EZ GO TXT 36v. I put new batteries in 4 years ago. This year I noticed that when I plug my charger in after using the cart, the charger does kick in, but the ammeter only goes like it's trickle charging I used to see it go about 10 amps and then slowly reduce until trickle and then shut off when charged.

My batteries are not getting me through 18 holes anymore and I will replace the batteries, but I want to make sure that there is nothing wrong with the charging system first.

When the cart is "fully" charged it measures 37.5+ volts. That's low.

I just charged the batteries for about 7 hours and each battery only reads 6.01 volts. So I know they aren't getting fully charged. How do I test the charging system?

Or should I just pay someone to take a look at this for me?

Thanks for the help in advance.
pmangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: EZ GO 36v charging

your local cart shop can fix it if you are not into dealing with high voltages. sounds like the capacitor in the charger is bad. there are powerwise test procedures on the site if you are inclined to try it yourself. do you have the powerwise charger?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:07 PM   #3
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Or you could borrow a charger from some that you know that works...see if they charge all the way up.

Mine charge up to 45.4 or something like that and charger shuts off...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:55 PM   #4
coosa
Gone Wild

Sure sounds like a charger issue to me. When my batteries have started to go bad the charger usually doesn't want to shut off. Borrowing a friend's charger is a great idea, or you can just charge them 2 batteries at a time with a 12 volt charger.

If you have even a little electrical experience, there are some great videos on YouTube telling you step by step how to test and repair a Powerwise charger. I just fixed one by using the video and never could have repaired it without it.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:19 PM   #5
pmangr
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I had the charger checked out and they tell me it is beyond repair. At this point, I'll have to assume that it's the transformer as anything is repairable. However, from a pricing point of view, the transformer is almost as much as a new charger. So I guess I'll get a new one.

Any recommendations on a good 36v charger for my cart?
Old 08-31-2016, 12:53 PM   #6
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

get a second opinion....... I'm with cgtech in that it sounds like a bad capacitor and that is definitely an easy and inexpensive fix. Not saying the transformer can't be bad, but I would be somewhat shocked if a transformer went bad that quickly.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:01 PM   #7
pmangr
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
get a second opinion....... I'm with cgtech in that it sounds like a bad capacitor and that is definitely an easy and inexpensive fix. Not saying the transformer can't be bad, but I would be somewhat shocked if a transformer went bad that quickly.
I considered that as well. I figure that I'll try to fix it myself and sell it. But I'll buy a new one for myself.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:38 PM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmangr View Post
I had the charger checked out and they tell me it is beyond repair. At this point, I'll have to assume that it's the transformer as anything is repairable. However, from a pricing point of view, the transformer is almost as much as a new charger. So I guess I'll get a new one.

Any recommendations on a good 36v charger for my cart?
YES, without a doubt.....get yourself a DPI charger, you can get one from Scotty at http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-chargers.html
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:54 PM   #9
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

DPI accusense. Modern technology, reasonably priced, repairable, smaller and lighter(a litttle) than original and floats the batteries when charge is complete. You might get more than 4 years from the next set of batteries.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO