lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #1
Jamesotn
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default NEED ADVICE 2014 Precedent sepex

2014 Precedent 48 volt. Brand new batteries. Seems sluggish...BUT the issue seems to maybe the charger. It's one of those new weird ones with fins ( will the older style box looking charger work? ) Sold it running fine...customer called..said while charging the batteries were gurgling ( normal ) BUT then he said he unplugged charger and battery pack showed 60 volts ! I had installed brand new light kit and voltage reducer. Lights are now non-operative.
I brought it home tested battery pack 49.3 volts. Connected charger...it's on now after one hour showing 53.3 volts.. Is this newer style charger troublesome? Charger model IC 0650-048CC. Fuse and all wires to lights and voltage reduced good...it's seems to have burned out the reducer, I'm going to install another one.
GRATEFUL for any advice with this issue !!
Jamesotn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-15-2018, 10:57 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: NEED ADVICE 2014 Precedent sepex

No, the ERIC systems are EXCELLENT smart chargers and any charger he has will always have a high voltage at the end as the amps are low and is topping off the charge. ~12 hours after the charge he should have at least a stable 50.9vdc to be at 100%. New batteries will hold a little higher.

And with "new" batteries it will charge a little higher and a little longer as they are not seasoned at all.

The maximum output for the charger is 72vdc, but again, that would be for a very low amp and to correctly charge the batteries.

Not sure how it plays into the reducer issue....

P.S. Those are also known as "High Frequency" Chargers.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:07 AM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Here is the spec sheet for that charger. Print it out and supply it to your consumer so he is more comfortable with how it works.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IC0650_Charger_Specification_Sheet_Latest.pdf (1.19 MB, 0 views)
Old 07-15-2018, 01:01 PM   #4
Jamesotn
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

He was scared because it had reached 60 volts and not shut off.

I think the reducer may have just been bad, I checked the bulbs and they are fine

THANK YOU SIR !!
Old 07-15-2018, 04:37 PM   #5
Jamesotn
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

O.K. I did a OBC reset, and plugged the charger in. the green light in the middle came on pulsing. I got the following readings from my multimeter:

10:38 49.3 volts
11:31 52.3
12:39 53.3
1:50 55.4
3:02 55.6
4:27 56.0
4:53 57.1
5:15 57.4
now the last small green light is pulsing...is it a maintainance cycle? If so is it just going to make the voltage keep climbing? He was scared when it got to 60 volts ! There are 6 - 8volt batteries ! Thanks
Old 07-15-2018, 05:12 PM   #6
Roy Gurley
Gone Wild

Club Car

Location: Retired and live in small town of Timberlake, North Carolina

I too have a 2014 club cart. Can someone please tell me about how far you can go on a full charge. Non lifted....
Roy Gurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:35 PM   #7
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesotn View Post
O.K. I did a OBC reset, and plugged the charger in. the green light in the middle came on pulsing. I got the following readings from my multimeter:

10:38 49.3 volts
11:31 52.3
12:39 53.3
1:50 55.4
3:02 55.6
4:27 56.0
4:53 57.1
5:15 57.4
now the last small green light is pulsing...is it a maintainance cycle? If so is it just going to make the voltage keep climbing? He was scared when it got to 60 volts ! There are 6 - 8volt batteries ! Thanks
It’s not uncommon to see voltages upwards of 60 upon a charge cycle during operation.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:37 PM   #8
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Gurley View Post
I too have a 2014 club cart. Can someone please tell me about how far you can go on a full charge. Non lifted....
There is an app for this.
GolfCarCaddy
Will tell you approximate charge left in pack based on current voltage etc.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:42 AM   #9
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesotn View Post
O.K. I did a OBC reset, and plugged the charger in. -snip-
Since you have an ERIC system, there is no OBC on that cart. Only the Powerdrive carts had the OBC as it controlled the charger and that all changed when the ERIC's rolled out....
Old 07-16-2018, 09:17 AM   #10
Jamesotn
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Posting this for all who see or followed this thread. This was my first time dealing with the newer (2014) precedent and the charger that came with it. I had put all new batteries in before selling to customer. When he used the charger and it made bubbling noises in the batteries and the pack voltage went to 60 volts, he panicked and freaked out fearing it would explode in his garage and destroy his antique rolls royce!
I picked it up brought it to the shop and also feared an explosion ! It took 18 hrs for the charger to shut off, and as you saw on my earlier posts, I kept a record of the times and the voltage climbing.
Shortly after it shut off, battery pack voltage dropped to 52.9 The cart ran much better than before and everything is just fine. So.. thanks to the wonderful folks on this forum I've just picked up some valuable knowledge.
Great day !!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car