lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2009, 07:37 AM   #11
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Upgraded and now problems

Have you checked and made sure that your ( Diode ) is installed in the right direction? I had one that had NO STRIPE around one end and when installed it would cause resistor to get hot much more than normal? Be careful as if allowed to be in wrong position for any length of time it can burn wiring.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-24-2009, 07:47 AM   #12
Lake Rider
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
Have you checked and made sure that your ( Diode ) is installed in the right direction? I had one that had NO STRIPE around one end and when installed it would cause resistor to get hot much more than normal? Be careful as if allowed to be in wrong position for any length of time it can burn wiring.
Yes the diode is installed with the striped end towards the POS large terminal on the solenoid across the two small terminals.
Lake Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:51 AM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I hope you mean towards the battery side. Both large terminal connects are positive. The solenoid is quite simply a big DC switch ...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:36 AM   #14
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

The Diode with band should be attached to SMALL TERMINALS ONLY, with stripe toward
( BATTERY SIDE SMALL WIRING ) and other terminal toward CONTROLLER SMALL WIRING SIDE. This protects from power surge damaging solenoid and controller.
The resistor can be mounted in either direction across LARGE TERMINALS of solenoid.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:52 AM   #15
Lake Rider
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I hope you mean towards the battery side. Both large terminal connects are positive. The solenoid is quite simply a big DC switch ...
Yes thats what I mean. POS side or the lead from the POS battery post to the solenoid is the side I have the diode band mounted on the little post with band towards battery side.

Quote:
The Diode with band should be attached to SMALL TERMINALS ONLY, with stripe toward
( BATTERY SIDE SMALL WIRING ) and other terminal toward CONTROLLER SMALL WIRING SIDE. This protects from power surge damaging solenoid and controller.
The resistor can be mounted in either direction across LARGE TERMINALS of solenoid.
I have the diode band mounted on the little post with band towards battery side.

Yes its on the small posts for the diode and resistor is on the large posts. You can see them a little in the pic although they are incased in heatshrink tubing (black)

I`m beginning to think it could aslo be related to another part as the battery charge light glows dimly with key on or off and cart just sitting there. I noticed it this a.m in the dark garage. The other cart sitting next to it does not glow.
It means power is flowing through the system when it should not be from this and definitely through the OBC for the light to kick on and glow a little.

I took all the wires off AGAIN to double check and put them all back on the solenoid. The solenoid clicked on one time by itself energizing the solenoid and then shut back off to where the solenoid didnt click again after putting wires back on and turning key on and pushing pedal
Old 07-24-2009, 10:34 AM   #16
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I must be getting old as the unhooking and rehooking wiring seems correct BUT SHOULD NOT ALLOW SOLENOID TO CLOSE ( CLICK )? Im not sure about what is causing the solenoid to click once when first connected? When key is turned off and pedal is not depresed, and F&R is in center OFF POSITION, and the solenoid clicks on when first wired some thing is very wrong?
The sequence of operation SHOULD BE as follows--
Key is turned on allowing power to pedal and included micro, which WHEN PRESSED DOWN allows power to micro on F&R switch, WHEN placed in either run position allows power to solenoid small lead, which allows power through large leads to controller.
Any part operating incorrectly or wire no connected in this sequence correctly will cause your problem? I wish I could see the wiring and be able to come to my own answer, BUT must cause you to try different things to correct problem.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:40 AM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

YEp THe solenoid should not click 'on it own'. It means you have energised it with a pos and neg.... which is what we are waiting for the gas peddle micro to do?...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:58 PM   #18
Lake Rider
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
I must be getting old as the unhooking and rehooking wiring seems correct BUT SHOULD NOT ALLOW SOLENOID TO CLOSE ( CLICK )? Im not sure about what is causing the solenoid to click once when first connected? When key is turned off and pedal is not depresed, and F&R is in center OFF POSITION, and the solenoid clicks on when first wired some thing is very wrong?
The sequence of operation SHOULD BE as follows--
Key is turned on allowing power to pedal and included micro, which WHEN PRESSED DOWN allows power to micro on F&R switch, WHEN placed in either run position allows power to solenoid small lead, which allows power through large leads to controller.
Any part operating incorrectly or wire no connected in this sequence correctly will cause your problem? I wish I could see the wiring and be able to come to my own answer, BUT must cause you to try different things to correct problem.
It didnt click on its own as I stated above.

"I took all the wires off AGAIN to double check and put them all back on the solenoid. The solenoid clicked on one time by itself energizing the solenoid and then shut back off to where the solenoid didnt click again after putting wires back on and turning key on and pushing pedal"

I hooked all the wires back up and reinstalled it. I turned key on and pushed pedal and it clicked and started the motor one time when I pushed the pedal. I let go of the pedal and tried it again and it was a no go the second pedal push.

Before I took anything apart I took picturtes of the parts and then on reassembly it all went exactly to the same place on the new equipment. I also verified it by wiring diagrams for the cart as well as also another cart of the same kind and year. The wires are ALL back in the same place as taken off and thats why its so discouraging on all of this.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:41 PM   #19
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

" I took all the wires off agin and double checked and put them back on the solenoid. The solenoid clicked on one time by itself" This means that something BEFORE THE SOLENOID IS INCORRECT, as this should NOT HAPPEN.
"I hooked all the wires back up and reinstalled it. I turned key on and pushed pedal and it clicked and started motor ONE TIME, when pedal was tried again it was a NO GO"
THis could tell us that there is more than one problem to contend with? The speed control attacherd to pedal is not working all the time for some reason, possibly bad unit? And our above problem?
What year and model and batterys voltage do you have for sure? I didnt notice it in previous posts?? GETTING OLD YOU KNOW?
Old 07-24-2009, 03:17 PM   #20
Lake Rider
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
" I took all the wires off agin and double checked and put them back on the solenoid. The solenoid clicked on one time by itself" This means that something BEFORE THE SOLENOID IS INCORRECT, as this should NOT HAPPEN.
"I hooked all the wires back up and reinstalled it. I turned key on and pushed pedal and it clicked and started motor ONE TIME, when pedal was tried again it was a NO GO"
THis could tell us that there is more than one problem to contend with? The speed control attacherd to pedal is not working all the time for some reason, possibly bad unit? And our above problem?
What year and model and batterys voltage do you have for sure? I didnt notice it in previous posts?? GETTING OLD YOU KNOW?
I worded it all wrong as both of those instances are the same one. I just didnt elaborate enough when I said "The solenoid clicked on one time by itself" I meant one time by itself after I did the key on and pushed the pedal. It wasnt two seperate situations but just one.
Sorry for the confusion with my wording...

I get a 55V reading across the battery pack when reading it They all read above 8 volts sitting and they are all within 2 yrs of age Exides
The cart is a 95 model.

1995 Club Car 48volt
A9527-442901
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car