lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2009, 05:38 AM   #1
aauman
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default 82 marathon 36 to 48

The batteries in my 82 marathon are 8 years old and did great until this year. Since reading other posts I've became interested in switching to 48v so the other carts don't leave me going up the hills every time. I just had new cables made from 2ga welding cable. I know I need 6 8v trojans and a new charger. Do I have to change anything else since I don't have a controller? I live in a small town in GA so I don't now where I can find the batteries. What kind of charger should I get. Sorry for so many questions but looking at all the modified carts makes me want to get to work!!!!!!!!
aauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-21-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
turblown
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 82 marathon 36 to 48

I'm assuming you have a resitor cart like me. Did you upgrade to 48V? What all did it take?
turblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

WELCOME TO BGW!

Not so familiar with resistor carts, but I would assume you would need (a) new 48v solenoid and unless the motor you have in the cart handles 48v you would need a new one of those too. Site sponsors have everything you need except batteries. If you ABSOLUTELY can't get Trojans or Interstate or something like that, if you have a Sam's Club near you, they carry 6v batteries I believe. I am not sure about 48v though.
ezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:40 AM   #4
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

I upgraded my 82 ezgo to 48v with resistors before converting to controller. You will eventually need a 48v solenoid, but 36v should hold up for a short while. Make sure all of your contacts are smooth on your speed control. The motor will be fine at 48v. You will enjoy the MUCH improved performance. By all means though stay out of the creeks. Water and resistors don't mix. For charging, I used the 36v charger and a 12v charger. Oh, and resistors don't like partial throttle at 48v.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
turblown
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Water isn't much of a problem here in AZ! Thanks for the info.
turblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:32 PM   #6
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by turblown View Post
Water isn't much of a problem here in AZ! Thanks for the info.
Just so you know if I were you I would get the 48 volt solenoid now instead of running into that problem later. Although, if you install the 48v solenoid on a 36v system it MAY or MAY NOT engage. So only install it on a 48v cart.
ezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:46 AM   #7
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

sams has both 6v and 8v batts. no problem with a 36v moyor running 48v. as has been said
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:35 AM   #8
rusty1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

aauman were in ga do you live I to am in ga and know a place to get trojan batteries reasonable here in middle ga i am from cochran and i have a coulpe of resiltor carts let me know if you need any parts
rusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:43 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If you run 48v in a resistor cart it is just a matter of time before it melts something and stops. Period.

I'm not saying it won't go. I'm not saying you can't have some fun doing this. I'm saying sooner or later it will have a meltdown. Where you are when this happens will determine how pissed off you will be

The only 2 throttle positions where 48v will not hurt your system is wide open throttle and off. Try driving like that ... I did for a year on one. One day the wife borrowed it and poof, it melted

The resistor cart will have to be converted to solid state speed control to successfully run 48v
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:52 AM   #10
rib33024

How much are you getting 8v trojan batteries for?, what is reasonable??--$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty1 View Post
aauman were in ga do you live I to am in ga and know a place to get trojan batteries reasonable here in middle ga i am from cochran and i have a coulpe of resiltor carts let me know if you need any parts
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO