lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
fragglerocks
Not Yet Wild

Default 48v Custom Cart with charging problem

ok. I will give as much detail as possible in hopes that it will give a solution. I am going crazy trying to fix this in what seems like should be something very easy.

Club Car with custom 48v system
S#: A8933 1/8 3260
Motor Model #:5BC59JB56194B
3.1hp

Lestronic 2 charger with 2 prong plug (+ and -;i think what you guys call the crows foot)

Ok. bought this cart a few years back and it ran fine. Did not come with a chrger so we bought one brand new from lestronic and it worked great for about one year. I upgraded all the wires (for more power i was told, but mainly because the old ones were in bad shape). It still ran fine if not better. I had one battery die (wouldn't hold a charge), so it was replaced (I know you are supposed to replace all batteries at once). It ran good for about 4 or 5 months. Then died again. I assumed it was battery related so we replaced all the batteries with new ones. It was awesome. Went to charge it for the first time after the batteries got low and it wouldn't take a charge. I called Lestronic (who has the best tech support I have ever dealt with in any industry ever) and they said it was something with the cart after a thorough test run with the voltmeter over the charger (but to be safe they sent me a new circuit board at no charge to try anyways). None of this worked. They also told me how two hotwire the charger in case my batt voltage was too low. I tried both ways. If I plug the charger into the wall and the cart It draws about 20-22 amps and i assume is putting voltage into the cart. If i have it hotwired and plugged into the wall and not the cart no amperage(less than 1 at least) and 12v to the crows foot plug. The cart wiring is laid out the same as best i can tell from the wiring diagrams on the forum except for the following: no reverse buzzer, no key, no battery gauge. basically the simple is about as simple as one can get. 6 batteries, 1 motor, 1 wiper, 1 solenoid, 1 plug, and 1 switch(forward and reverse). the only thing i find odd is that my plug on my cart(for the charger) has 2 wires. The + goes down to the bottom of the switch to a connection that then goes to the battery +. the - side goes directly to the same + post on the same battery. This doesn't make since to me. I would expect the - to connect to the last battery in the series on the - side. I know all connections are the same as when the cart was purchased other than the items that were removed(which i did not do) and the cart ran fine. I will have access to the cart tomorrow to try ideas. all help with this is greatly appreciated.
fragglerocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
galloway
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 48v Custom Cart with charging problem

how long did you run the cart before your first charge?
Bc I am pretty sure for the first 15 to 20 battery cycles you shouldn't run it below 80% charge.

I am not sure about the charger part.
galloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
fragglerocks
Not Yet Wild

we have always run the cart new and old batteries until the cart gets "sluggish" i would say. So there was still enough charge that the charger would activate (i think it has to be above 35v or something) but since there has never been a battery gauge i couldn't say to what percentage. based even on standard battery life though i would think even if the batteries were run way down (they would be ruined) but should still take on some kind of charge for the cart to move for a few minutes or seconds even. I can't even get the wheels to spin with the cart in the air even though i have 30 volts.
fragglerocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

You have run those batteries down so far that you are going to have to charge them individually,one at a time.You dont have enough juice in your batteries to turn the charger on.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

bump
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

This is pure and simple FOOLISH battery abuse... It is a waste of resources for somebody who thought they were going to save $ by doing themselves. As Galloway said there is a strict 'new battery breakin proceedure' to insure you get the best useful life from your investment... As an example, you could not do much worse if you are trying to kill off these new batteries ..... even if they 'come back' ...irreversable long term damage is done by running them down so low, especially when new..... This is not a jab at someone looking for help .... I hope this helps members realize how important new battery care really is.......

NEW BATTERIES=
Yes it is normal for the charger to run for 10 hrs.... let the charger finish and check the voltage 45-60 minutes after the charger shuts off ... you should have a reading like the 100% on the chart below. During the first 12 cycles it is important to always let the charge finish and do not draw the pack down below say 75-80% capacity..... then never below 50% during their useable life. If you do this they will last about twice as long as an abused set. Get a voltmeter and stay with it until you know when to recharge
P.S. that is long before the cart gets sluggish .....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Batterytable1-1.jpg (88.7 KB, 16 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:34 AM   #7
hookm
Younger Than Dirt

Club Car

Scotty,how could that not be a jab at someone looking for help? That's why I mostly just read & try to find my own way, so I wont be called foolish. I think that's probably not how you meant it so go ahead & let the tongue lashing begin.
hookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:49 AM   #8
ggwearsch
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I wonder where fragglerocks got these batteries? Did the person selling the batteries know anything about proper breakin? When you buy most products that cost $500 to $700 you get some kind of instruction on how it works and what to do and what not to do.
FOOLISH does not seem to be the correct term to me more like uninformed or poor direction!
ggwearsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
jjones41
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

no one here questions scottyb's knowledge in the golf cart world. I do believe that the manner in which the information is conveyed leaves something to be desired. in this case i don't believe this is referred to as foolish. foolish is doing something when you know better than to be doing it. this is a case of not being informed of the proper care and he came here to find that knowledge and at this point i doubt that he/or i would listen to any of that knowledge after the statement of "This is pure and simple FOOLISH battery abuse" as the first line. we understand that this is all second nature to many of you that have been doing this for years but many of us have not. we go by the facts life has taught us when something is dead you charge it. and if you dont know any better that is not foolish. just my to cents.
jjones41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Are you refering to the Costco Cashier's golf cart tech support?
Well .... if foolish was too stong a word then I apologize Just take the info I putr out there and leave the rest
AND Remember .... "the only foolish question is the one you were too afraid to ask"
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car