lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
Loosewire
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Symptoms of failing batteries?

I just purchased a 2001 Club Car with Aug. 2005 Trojan batteries. Two days ago, it ran fine when I road tested it. Today, when I attached the charger, it only read 5 amps and cut off after 30 min. or so. After fully charging, I have 50.2 volts across the battery bank without a load and 34.1 volts across the bank with the wheels spinning (rear end lifted off the ground). With the wheels on the ground, the cart shudders and then just stops...nothing!

Does this sound like the batteries are bad, or does it sound like something else?

The Seller has agreed to give me my money back or offer an allowance for new batteries (8-volt) since he also noticed the shuddering when we loaded it onto the trailer today (thinking the batteries just needed to be charged). I feel I got a decent deal, but having to dump more money into it for new batteries is not appealing since I thought I would get another year or two out of the current ones.

Also, if it sounds like bad batteries, what should I expect to pay for new ones? If I keep it, I also plan to replace the battery tray/rack, so can I just cut out the bad pieces and weld new angle aluminum back in place?
Loosewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Symptoms of failing batteries?

Welcome to BGW. Those sound like bad batteries to me. Prepare for a $6-700 expense. A More Scientific check would be the voltmeter and hydrometer, then load test? But yeh, it don't sound good.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:41 PM   #3
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes you have a bad or bad batteries,as far as the trays go you can cut the old ones in half and they will break out from their welds.Then get you some stock from maybe lowes and cut them to length about 15 1/2 inches and rivet them in with 3/16 rivets is what I use the large head preferably.Dont weld them in its a lot of trouble and you have to disconnect the controller.Dont forget to drill your holes for your battery rods before install,they will be halfway down,1/4 inch should do it. hope this helps.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:49 PM   #4
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Battery time! Something to expect when you purchase a 5 year old cart though - If the seller is offering some cash to offset the cost, then collect it ASAP before he changes his mind

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:22 AM   #5
Loosewire
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I much prefer the idea of riveting in new rack over welding.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

check each individual battery,
some times one bad battery can spoil the whole bunch,
or old and corroded cables ...etc.

Probably time for new Batteries though, Especially if he's offering to pay 50%
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #7
sunking
Gone Wild

By all means check all connections and each battery. Bad news if you find one bad battery, then you will really need to replace all of them.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #8
Loosewire
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I took all 6 to the dealer and they all tested bad. The lowest one was 39% with the other 5 in 62% to 67% range with 100% charge. I purchased 6 new Trojan 860's and just finished installing the new battery rack & batteries and am on my way to meet the seller who is going to give me $200 towards the new batteries. Needless to say, I am pleased with the outcome.

Thanks again to all you fine folks who chimed in on this topic.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:56 PM   #9
sunking
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosewire View Post
I took all 6 to the dealer and they all tested bad. The lowest one was 39% with the other 5 in 62% to 67% range with 100% charge. I purchased 6 new Trojan 860's and just finished installing the new battery rack & batteries and am on my way to meet the seller who is going to give me $200 towards the new batteries. Needless to say, I am pleased with the outcome.

Thanks again to all you fine folks who chimed in on this topic.
Seller will refund $200? What a deal or he is very dumb. Those are 5 year old batteries, 2 years over due for replacement.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunking View Post
Seller will refund $200? What a deal or he is very dumb. Those are 5 year old batteries, 2 years over due for replacement.
Not really most Trojans, run 5+ years if properly maintaned.
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car