lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
Firemed11
Not Yet Wild

Default Equilize Batteries

I have a 36 volt cart with 2 batteries that are 09 and the others are 10 models. I recently bought the cart and had charged a couple of times and checked water the 09 were low low. I added water and recharged the system the 09 were still low on voltage and so i checked the gravity and had bad cells. i have begun to try my idea of equalizing them with a 6 volt manual charger just getting them going and leave till they begin to bubble. I am watching the voltage and the gravity i have 2 cells on one batt that are coming back up to normal. My question is this...instead of doing them one at a time could you use a twelve volt charger and do them tied in series? I cant afford a charger that has the equalizing switch so i figure why not just get them rolling and watch them close.
Firemed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-19-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Equilize Batteries

Yes you can use the 12v charger and you do not have to unhook any of the cables, leave everything wired up just like it should be and hook your 12v charger on two batteries and let them charge -I got a pic here some where, here ya go

Quote:
HOW to isolate --2 - 6v-- to put on 12v charger

Inspect the pack, notice the batteries are connected pos to neg in 'series'
Pic any 2 that are connected pos to neg and connect a 12v charger at a pos on 1 and a neg on the other..... check it out with your voltmeter... you will see it is 12v (or supposed to be) This way. No need to disconnect or remove anything..

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
Firemed11
Not Yet Wild

well i have already pulled the 2 out that were i need of some tlc. I moved my others to the back of the pac and i am going to put these two back at the end where i connect my postative and negative at for my 36. The bad thing is the only 12 volt charger i have is a smart charger so it will shut off on my oh no wait i can put the one i have in 12 volt mode. I just wasnt really sure if this would work to equalize them since it gradually brings them up , the one i am working on now is at 7.44 volts temp good and gravity is coming up they just arent a vigorous boil like i think maybe they should be.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemed11 View Post
well i have already pulled the 2 out that were i need of some tlc. I moved my others to the back of the pac and i am going to put these two back at the end where i connect my postative and negative at for my 36. The bad thing is the only 12 volt charger i have is a smart charger so it will shut off on my oh no wait i can put the one i have in 12 volt mode. I just wasnt really sure if this would work to equalize them since it gradually brings them up , the one i am working on now is at 7.44 volts temp good and gravity is coming up they just arent a vigorous boil like i think maybe they should be.

As long as they are (bubbling) not to much boiling that is good, just keep checking them and make sure they don't get to HOT to the touch, and maybe they will come back up, time will tell.
and you need to let them sit OFF charge for 12 hours to get a true reading, of the SG and volts
Old 09-19-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
Firemed11
Not Yet Wild

i see well i took the one off it was at 92 deg 7.44 when i took it off will see how it does after i run a but and a few more charges i guess.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
rib33024

Old 09-19-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You are getting some falsely elevated readings right off the charger.... They are real voltage but the batteries won't hold that number which is why RIB30495757874 says to let them sit idle overnight and get a reading in the morning ~ That is more like what you got .... According to the chart it should be 6.37 each
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:45 PM   #8
Firemed11
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the help guys i charged them and then put in cart and screwed up big time and didnt pay attention and crossed my pos and neg and blew the heck out of my controller and am pretty sure i cleaned the plates on those 2 batts too. they bubbled pretty good at that point. ordered new alltrax dcx400 hope to have it thursday this week from carl at evrides hes seems pretty nice.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO