lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-22-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
bookum1@yahoo.com
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Will this work?

I had asked the question below in an earlier thread, but I forgot to add the battery information

A buddy of mine is upgrading a backup power source at his job and he replacing about 100 12volt deep cycle batteries, some of which are only a couple of months old. My question is can I use 8 12volt batteries rigging 2 in parrallel making 4 sources of 12 volts totaling 48volts? They are gell cell batteries an I really hate for them to go to waste. I have an 01 EZ-GO with a 502-1 motor and a alltrax controller. It's rigged for 36 volts, but I was planning to go to 48 volts anyway

The Batteries are Data Safe hx400 batteries The data is listed at http://www.staticpower.com/pdf/HX.pdf
bookum1@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-22-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
bookum1@yahoo.com
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Will this work?

I was wrong... they are not Gel Cell they are AGM batteries
Old 12-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

48v is 48v. The issue you may have is charging them. AGM take a different charger than a wet cell batt does.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
bookum1@yahoo.com
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

What kind of Charger is designed for AGM Batteries. I know some carts come standard with them. I am going to have to reconfigure the battery tray, but the cost savings is worth it and I have 16 of the batteries... That should last a long time if I keep them charged.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It'll be cheaper in the long run to just buy the correct batteries for your cart!

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

The answer to your question "will it work?" is clearly yes. You can configure the batteries any way you like to get your required voltage. However the real question should be is this feasible? Can you fit all of those batteries into the battery well, how much will the new cabling cost you and what will be the peformance per $ for the conversion. Most people are of the opinion that only cart batteries work in carts so even taking into account the fact that you are getting free batteries you may end up spending money on cables and ending up with lacklustre performance which would be particularly gauling if you then have to buy a set of cart batteries. Whatever you decide good luck.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:29 PM   #7
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

plus if you find an agm charger and these batteries take a dump than you have a 48V charger that will not charge a wet cell battery correctly. Buying a 6V agm battery is double the cost of a normal wet cell battery.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
bookum1@yahoo.com
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Very good point. I am trying to figure the feasibility... I was hoping that one of the gurus on this sight might be able to tell from the link to the battery information page might be able to tell me if they will perform properly. I still don't know who makes a AGM battery charger. I can do the changes to the cab so that won't be a big issue since I was going to have to rebuild the tray anyway.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:46 PM   #9
bookum1@yahoo.com
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

After doing some research I read that AGM batteries don't need a special charger since the charging voltages are the same as regular batteries. Is this the case or are AGM batteries no created equal?
Old 12-23-2010, 09:28 PM   #10
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you go with a Delta Q charger you can reset the charge control based on the type of battery you are attempting to charge.

http://www.delta-q.com/products/quiq.shtml
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO