lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2012, 06:21 AM   #1
windsoreight
Not Yet Wild

Default 48v Conversion Charger

I am in the process of converting my 90 DS to 48 volts. I know the issues I can run into down the road with the v-matic burning up. I plan on a controller upgrade soon. I did get a set of heavy duty coils. My question is about the charger. I picked up a Yamaha JW2-H2107-01 charger. My question is what are my options for charging? I believe this charger uses the OBC for control. Can I wire up an OBC just for charging? Can I use a club car one? Thanks
windsoreight is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Default Re: 48v Conversion Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsoreight View Post
I am in the process of converting my 90 DS to 48 volts. I know the issues I can run into down the road with the v-matic burning up. I plan on a controller upgrade soon. I did get a set of heavy duty coils. My question is about the charger. I picked up a Yamaha JW2-H2107-01 charger. My question is what are my options for charging? I believe this charger uses the OBC for control. Can I wire up an OBC just for charging? Can I use a club car one? Thanks
Unless I am very much mistaken the Yamaha Chargers have built in charging controllers and do not need a seperate OBC.
Golfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
windsoreight
Not Yet Wild

Thanks
Old 11-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Some of the newest Yamahas may have an OBC. The older Lester made Yamaha chargers were 'stand alone' chargers and worked fine for what you want. The charger you listed is a newer on board micro processor type. All of the CC chargers worked with an OBC. There is a conversion circuit board available now for the CC charger... otherwise you could probably rig an OBC up if you had one laying around. But they cost as much as a cheap charger.

A word of caution here. You must drive this cart at Wide Open Throttle only or it will melt down.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Point of advice? Start saving for the conversion kit now, you'll be wanting it sooner than you think.

I just changed mine over to the newer style electrical system because I was tired of constantly fixing the old system. Mine also was the stock 36 Volt system, not the 48 Volts you're going with.

-Scott H.
Scott H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
windsoreight
Not Yet Wild

I plan on a controller upgrade. But I have not had many issues with any of the club cars I have had. I am just going one step at a time. My cart currently runs 5, 8 volt batteries. It came this way when I bought it. I figured I would go ahead and convert it over and add the 6th battery. Otherwise it is problem free and has been so for 8 months. I replaced all the cables with 0 gauge.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car